Create a board showing epics?

I can create a board showing stories for a project.  Can I create a board that shows just the epics for a project? 

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi,

Your board is based on a filter. If you change the filter to only return epics, your board will show just that. Alternatively, if you want to have a look at the epics but also need to see other issue types sometimes, you can create a filter that returns all the issue types that you need and create a quick filter for your board to only show epics. This way you can switch view between just the epics and everything that is on the board.

Regards,

Geert

Updating the filter for the board was my first thought. Filter is where project = X and issuetype = epic. Does not work. Board does not show the epics like it shows issues. I just see the epics in the epics section as normal. I want to see epics in the board so I can move them to sprints, prioritize them, etc.

You are right, epics are a special type which are always shown in the Epic panel. So the board does show all the epics in your project, but you cannot prioritize them or add them to sprints. You could use the classic board to prioritize the epics, but the classic board is about to disappear from JIRA Agile. Actually, the question is why you want to prioritize and plan epics in a sprint? Epics represent a large amount of work (larger than you can handle in a sprint), that is broken down in stories. Stories can then be prioritized and planned in sprints. If you are looking for roadmap planning, then maybe you should take a look at JIRA Portfolio.

You are spot on. We are looking to do product roadmap / portfolio planning. We saw the presentation on Jira Portfolio. It looks like it will meet our needs very well. Unfortunately, we are using the Cloud version of Jira thus Jira Portfolio is not available for us. We don't even know when Jira Portfolio will be made available for the Cloud version. Funny that. Even though Atlassian has this great portfolio planning tool, they still cannot provide a release date for said tool in the cloud.

I'm having exactly the same problem as you @Joseph Verrico. I want to show the list of epics for a number of projects in one filter so that I can generate a quick report for my PO. It will save me a lot of time. I can't find a solution. Have you had any luck?

...and minutes after asking, I have a solution! I needed to filter where

'project = X AND issuetype = Epic

OR project = Y AND issuetype = Epic

OR project = Z AND issuetype = Epic...'

...repeat for as many projects as you wish to include in the filter.

Project in (x, y, z) and issuetype = Epic

is neater than chains of OR junctions.

Or even, assuming you are using project categories,

Category = <something> and issuetype = Epic

@Ben Davis @Joseph VerricoAny luck?? I need to do exactly the same!! "Updating the filter for the board was my first thought. Filter is where project = X and issuetype = epic. Does not work. Board does not show the epics like it shows issues. I just see the epics in the epics section as normal. I want to see epics in the board so I can move them to sprints, prioritize them, etc."

This widget could not be displayed.

I would really like to do this as well. I have an epic for each of our platform team's major strategic elements. And I want to show how far along each of these epics are to the exec team!

This is almost a requirement for agile release trains aka program management, no?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

281 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you