Create Dependency or Link across projects

AgilePM April 22, 2013

Context is Web Development and we have seperate Development and Support teams. Both teams use the same JIRA instance and as default have same level of visibility across projects.

For Development efforts we create one project per website (e.g. www.example.com and www.otherexample.com ). For support work we have a single 'support queue' in which all tickets are created for any and all of our websites we support.

What is the best way to create a dependency between a ticket in support and another project which might also be under active development? And how do we visualize this?

The goal is for someone to be able to say "As a Developer I am working on a new feature for www.example.com I want to be able to see if there are open/active support tickets for this website" and the opposite of "As a Developer I am working on a break fix issue for www.example.com and I want to see if there is active development work being done".

In other words, we want to relate an individual support ticket to an overall development project. Right now we have a 'Website URL' field that contains www.example.com. How to create this link?

1 answer

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi, this could be very difficult, you can do Web URL Linking for the links between the instances, but the problem is that someone has to be checking the issue creations and create the links. I think this is not what you are looking for. Actually, what you can do it's create a bunch of components, as most specific as you can, that way when you have some bugfixing or development you can search in the other instance by component and version and open status and see if there are some issue that meet those specifications.

AgilePM April 22, 2013

Ramiro, thanks for the reply! We can set the 'URL' on each Development project and we will have a pre-populated drop-down list with URLs that requestors will have to select from. I am not sure if this makes things easier. Will this be a 'filter' we would create and users could then view?

I like the Component idea. We are currently using them to segment large sections of work but we might be able to pre-populate some components using the back-end instance name so we can tie any work directly to real hardware.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

In fact, when you create a link in a issue it show the possibilty to create URL link, but you can't have there a pre-populated drop down list...

Here there's an interesting question about connecting two jira instances:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/100411/connect-two-jira-instance

And @Radu commented about a plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.jjupin

Suggest an answer