Create Customer User from email

Joel Penner January 3, 2019

I would like to configure Service Desk Cloud to

• create users via email
  • auto-assign them to a customer
  • based on a criteria such as email sender's domain name.

I would like to do this without requiring an agent to have to manually invite a new user to be part of a customer. I understand that the Customer permissions -> "Anyone can send a request without logging in" can be set to true, but it makes every email/user an individual customer and I cannot see anywhere that I can add them to a customer. I would like to automate adding users to customers.

For example,

• if ACME with acme.com is already created
  • new_guy@acme.com emails my servicedesk email address

Then, it should:

• auto create the user new_guy@acme.com
  • auto-assign the user to the ACME customer
  • auto create the service desk issue
  • associate the service desk issue with the user and customer.

I think I've looked through the documentation and enabled and tried all the combinations, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thank-you in advance for any and all help.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joel Penner January 4, 2019

It looks like what I'm looking for is JSDCLOUD-4519.

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2019

Hello Joel,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
Currently, the only option to create customers via email is by selecting the options below:

Screenshot 2019-01-04_11-46-22.png

Screenshot 2019-01-04_11-47-13.png
As per I could understand, you would like to restrict the sign up to specific domains, is that correct?
If so, currently, it's not possible to configure it. We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-868

Related to auto-assign, I would like to understand if "ACME customer" is a user that will be the assignee for all tickets where the customer has the email domain @acme.com. Can you please give us more details about it? It will help us to confirm what you need and check if there is some feature or workaround that may help you.

Regards,
Angélica

Curt Timmer January 4, 2019

What I would love to see is in the Customer setup, specify the "allowable" domain, so when an an email comes in from that domain the user is created and associated with that company and the service desk issue is also created. 

If we receive an email from a domain not yet linked to a Customer, then still create the user and the service desk issue but have a "Unassigned Customer" category.

Curtis is my business partner and so we're both looking for options in lieu.

As per I could understand, you would like to restrict the sign up to specific domains, is that correct?

No, we don't want to restrict. We want auto-assign users to a customer. Where Curtis mentions "allowable domain", it's more of a "match this domain".

However, even the ability to move a user into a customer would be ideal. We can't currently do that. If jon_doe@acme.com creates an account as you list in your settings example, it creates the user but unassociated with a customer and no way to associate with a customer.

So in lieu of matching email domains to a customer, we need an Unassigned Customer category that we could then move users to other customers manually (or through an API if I must).

I think I'm using different terminology. I've been saying "users" but I mean the Service Desk idea of "Customer" (an email address) matching to an "Organization".

I should be able to move jon_doe@acme.com into ACME and both jon_doe@acme.com and jane@acme.com should see all ACME requests.

I think this is what we're looking for: JSDCLOUD-4519

Suggest an answer