Create Custom Project Template for Jira Cloud

nicholas like January 28, 2019

I would like to create a custom Jira Project template. The goal being that every time I create a project using this template it automatically creates a set of predefined tasks.

I saw a good add-on for Jira Server but sadly no solution was available to Jira Cloud.

Is there any add-ons or ways of achieving this?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2019

Hi Nicholas,

There is no way to create a Custom Template for Jira Cloud, its only available as an unsupported customization in the Server platform and the customizations required are part of the restricted functions in Cloud so workarounds are blocked at the platform level of the application.   

We have the following Feature Request tracking interest in implementation of a customizable template, so make sure to add your vote to track continued interest:

Regards,
Earl

Larry Draginich EXT May 3, 2019

We are currently following a 31 step manual process to create a new process and this is starting with creating the project using "Share settings with an existing project".  Has anyone tried any kind of scripting approach to automate at lease some of these steps?

Like Jay Syzdek likes this
bertrand.drouhard January 21, 2022

I think that you can automate lots of things with BobSwift CLI, including project creation. 

Like Jay Syzdek likes this
Litew8 GmbH April 19, 2023

Hi @nicholas like

since the accepted answer states 'no way to create a Custom Template for Jira Cloud' I would like to update, that we built a solution for what you asked in cloud.

Just take a look. Project Templates for Jira 

Step 1: Create a custom project template

Create Template.PNG

Step 2: In template settings, predefine the issues you need in every new project. You may link epics, stories and subtasks together.

Predefined Issues.PNG

Step 3: Activate the template and you are ready to start projects with it or additionally specify which non-admins should be able to use the custom project template

My first template.png

Additionally you can also set permission to allow non-admins to create Jira projects based on your custom templates.

Without addon your best option is to use the 'Create with shared settings' button during project creation. But as @Lary Draginich EXT said, while it is a good start, there are still many manual steps involved to get the project fully setup.
Greetings, Litew8 Team

7 votes
Oğuz Kağan Aslan July 6, 2019

We will see same template requests in 2025. ☹️

Kyle Mann September 8, 2021

Agree, now in 2021

Like # people like this
Wim Matthijs September 16, 2021

yep

Like # people like this
Alexey Vasiliev April 18, 2022

Like # people like this
Tim March 1, 2023

Like # people like this
Adam_kool
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 31, 2024

1 vote
Gonzalo Luna October 19, 2021

I still can't believe that this isn't a feature yet. OCT 2021 and counting. 

Tomasz Kubera December 7, 2021

I agree with you

troy.tamas April 1, 2022

2022... :(

Marco Cetina January 5, 2023

Like # people like this
Geylani Özçubukçu November 8, 2023

Same Nov 23

Like Marvin Brand likes this
0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 9, 2021

Our Jira cloud Deep Clone for Jira might be interesting for some of you.

It's possible to clone entire company-managed projects along with settings, components, versions and issues. (Update 2023-03: It's now also possible to clone team-managed projects (except team-managed JSM projects), when you enable the Advanced Project Clone).

There might be also other useful apps in the Atlassian Marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=project%20template

If you have questions or feedback about Deep Clone for Jira, don't hesitate to contact us.

Tiago Almeida May 18, 2022

maybe thats why its not available yet....

Jay Syzdek March 8, 2023

Trying this now.

jeimi garcia lopez July 20, 2023

same as always

Suggest an answer