Copying a Date Time Picker field to the 'Release Date' field of a Fix Version

Aleena Baig January 29, 2018

We use a separate 'release' project to track project releases, with tickets that show release dates etc.

I would like to be able to pull a 'date' field from an issue in a separate project into the 'release date' field of a fix version

Is it possible to access and populate fields in a fix version in this way?

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2018

Dear @Aleena Baig,

1. Install this https://restlet.com/modules/client/
  2. Select GET and type the following URL <your Jira URL>/api/2/issue/<issue key> in the query field
  3. Add a custom header called "Content-type" : "application/json"
  4. Add an authorization (user:password)
  5. Click on send.

In the result (JSON format), you should find some custom_{id} fields. One of them is your Date Time Picker. To identify which, (easiest way) go to Jira UI and hover with the mouse over the edit field of your custom field. The id displayed in the URL preview of your browser is important.

Please report back, if you were successful.

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

Dear @Aleena Baig,

could you check my how-to? Did it work?

So long

Thomas

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2018

Dear @Aleena Baig,

with the power of the API, you can. REST call to get the issue. The JSON contains your custom field (date picker):

GET /api/2/issue/<issue key>

Then the update of a specific version:

PUT /rest/api/2/version/<id>

The put data (JSON) looks like this (taken from the API Doc):

{
    "self": "http://www.example.com/jira/rest/api/2/version/10000",
    "id": "10000",
    "description": "An excellent version",
    "name": "New Version 1",
    "archived": false,
    "released": true,
    "releaseDate": "2010-07-06",
    "overdue": true,
    "userReleaseDate": "6/Jul/2010",
    "projectId": 10000}

Was this helpful?

So long

Thomas 

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2018

Dear @Aleena Baig,

you didn't came back - can I help you further?

So long

Thomas

Aleena Baig February 2, 2018

Hi @Thomas Deiler unfortunately I am quite new to JIRA so I don't quite understand how I would actually make an API call - is this done somewhere directly in JIRA or does it require a plugin?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2018

Dear @Aleena Baig,

you don't need any plugin. Everything required is free available. So to get a feeling if you or colleagues can realize your requirement I recommend to install first a browser plugin to make a simple API call.

Which browser do you use?

So long

Thomas

Aleena Baig February 2, 2018

Hi @Thomas Deiler I am using Chrome

Suggest an answer