Converting Kanban to Sprints

todd June 25, 2019

I have a project that I inherited that is not set up how the team wants it to operate into the future.

Current State

I have a project that is set up with a Kanban board.  So, I have the Kanban board with its columns and also a backlog list.  When I view the backlog I see one of the columns in the Kanban board at the top of the backlog view as a group then I see a group of backlog items that have not been added to the board.  When an item is moved to a later state in the Kanban workflow, it no longer appears in either the workflow state seen on the backlog view nor in the backlog state on the backlog view.

Future State

The team still wants to move to sprints.  For an active Sprint, they want to manage it using a Kanban-style view.  But they want to be able to plan future sprints.  So, they want the backlog view to show the backlog and then groups for each planned sprint.

How do I shift from the current state to the future state?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2019

Hello Todd,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Analyzing the description of your Future State, it seems your team is looking for a Scrum Board, where you can organize and track your teamwork based on Sprints.

In fact, you can create and plans future Sprints in a Scrum board, grouping your Stories into Sprints that are ordered by execution and having a backlog view for the not planned Stories.

In order to use the mentioned view, you can simply create a Scrum board by performing the steps below:

1 - Navigate to your current Kanban Board > Click in the board menu > Create new board:

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 16.14.00.png

2 - Choose the option Board from an existing project and choose the options of the client as you want

3 - Once it is created, create your Sprints as you need and map the issues according to your team progress

Additionally, you can check the differences between Kanban and Scrum in the link below:

Kanban vs. Scrum

P.S: you can switch between your current Scrum board and the inherited Kanban project by the board menu, in case you would like to compare both and configure any similarities. 

Let me know if this is the option you are looking for.

todd June 27, 2019

This is the option I am looking for.

Is there anything I need to watch for with respect to this between a "next gen" project and a traditional project?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2019

Hello Todd,

The way both classic and Next-gen boards work are similar, the main difference is that Next-gen customization options are very limited, not allowing you to configure a custom board filter, Card layouts, and many other features available for the classic board.

In fact, the Next-gen template was designed for those users who felt overwhelmed by the complexity of JIRA Classic template and requested a simpler option, straight to the point with fewer options of customization.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know about it.

anjani.kava October 16, 2019

Hello, 

I have a Kanban board which I want to convert to a Sprint. Is there a way I can do that ? 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2019

Hello @anjani.kava,

Thank you for reaching out.

Although there is not a simple button to convert a Kanban board to Scrum, can you please try the steps I provided in my first answer to Todd?

Performing those steps, you will create the exactly same board you currently have in your project with the same issues, however, using the Scrum methodology (Sprints) instead of Kanban.

That would be the easiest way to convert your project/board to Scrum.

Let me know if it works for you.

anjani.kava October 31, 2019

Thanks @Petter Gonçalves  - this worked!

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Kati Driscoll June 23, 2022

Veronica Caceres
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2023

Hi I do followed the steps above, but I still do not have the CTA to create sprints, is it a matter of permissions?

1 vote
Kati Driscoll July 1, 2022

@Petter Gonçalves I tried following the above steps, but I don't see the Board Menu. I created a separate Jira account from my companies to test Scrum boards, etc., and I'm going to use this test account to see the process of transitioning a board from Kanban to Scrum (before I do so in our actual account).

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 11.57.37 AM.png

Suggest an answer