Configuring AD authentication an existing Jira userbase

If I configure Microsoft Active Directory authentication, can we still use JIRA Internal Directory as well for our external users?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+LDAP+Directory

Would our existing users in the JIRA Internal Directory get their profile synchronized with their AD user counterpart? If they would be removed from the JIRA Internal Directory.

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Sverre,

JIRA internal directory and LDAP directory will be created under a different directory. JIRA will be able to differentiate each users so it is not possible for JIRA internal directory user information to be synchronize with AD.

However please note that JIRA will ignore any duplicate user registered under the lower order directory. For example, if you have user with a username admin in both Internal Directory and AD directory. JIRA will acknowledge admin that registered under the higher order only.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Does that mean that our user list in Jira will be doubled for our users in both Jira Internal Directory and Microsoft Active Directory. 2 user entries for the same username in both?

Nope, as mentioned earlier, it will be ignored. So if there are any duplicate, JIRA will ignore the lower order duplicate and will not listed it on your user list.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,739 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot