Conditionally set field value based on other field value on Create transition

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2017

Hi,

I need some help with setting a field value conditionally on another field value.

Here's the scenario:

If value in Field A begins with an underscore set Field B to Yes else set Field B to No on the Create transition.

Is that possible? We have Scriptrunner but I'm not a coder so am in the dark.

Thanks, Michael J

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Yelamos [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2017

Hello Michael.

Are these fields custom fields or not? It would change a bit the implementation of the code. If you give me a specific example of what you want I try my best to tell you how to do this.

Cheers

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2017

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for getting back to me. Field A is Components so not custom, Field B is a radio button custom field with values of Yes or No.

Best,

Michael J

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2017

Hello Michael

This is the solution to what you are looking for:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

import com.onresolve.jira.groovy.user.FieldBehaviours

import groovy.transform.BaseScript@BaseScript FieldBehaviours behaviours

import static com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants.*def varCheck = getFieldById(COMPONENTS)def customFieldvalue = getFieldByName("custom_field")

def optionsManager = ComponentAccessor.getOptionsManager()

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()

def customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(customFieldvalue.getFieldId())

def config = customField.getRelevantConfig(getIssueContext())

def options = optionsManager.getOptions(config)if(varCheck.value.toString().startsWith("_")){

    def optionToSelect = options.find { it.value == "yes" }

    customFieldvalue.setFormValue(optionToSelect.optionId)}

else{

    def optionToSelect = options.find { it.value == "no" }

Mind you, you will need to replace "custom_field" with the name of the field that contains your custom field checkbox

Also I would recomend you check out the documentation about behaviours that you can find in the following link:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/recipes/behaviours/setting-default-fields.html

Hope this helped, if we can do anything else for you let us know.

Cheers

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2017

Wow, thank you so much! This is my first behavior so please be patient. I followed the instructions here to set it up, https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html. But I'm getting an error on this line:
{code}
import groovy.transform.BaseScript@BaseScript FieldBehaviours behaviours
{code}
The error is "Compilation failure: startup failed: Script1.groovy: 7: unexpected token: @ @ line 7, column 35. import groovy.transform.BaseScript@BaseScript FieldBehaviours behaviours ^ 1 error."

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2017

Hello Michael.

That is happening because the @ needs to be in a new line.

Your code should look like this:

import groovy.transform.BaseScript

@BaseScript FieldBehaviours behaviours

Hope this helped out

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2017

Hi Daniel,

I appreciate your help but when I pull the @ out to its own line, I get a new error. I've pasted the code I'm using below.

import static com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants.*def varCheck = getFieldById(COMPONENTS)def customFieldvalue = getFieldByName("For Exhibition or Publication")

def customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(customFieldvalue.getFieldId())

def options = optionsManager.getOptions(config)if(varCheck.value.toString().startsWith("_")){

    def optionToSelect = options.find { it.value == "yes" }

else{

    def optionToSelect = options.find { it.value == "no" }

And this is the error.

Compilation failure: startup failed: Script1.groovy: 11: expecting EOF, found 'def' @ line 11, column 61. ra.issue.IssueFieldConstants.*def varChe ^ 1 error

Thank you,

Michael J

Michael Johnson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2017

Hi Daniel,

I'm still having trouble getting this to work. Here is my code and I have it mapped to one issue type in a project. I don't have any Fields defined for the Behaviour so maybe that's the problem. Not sure.

import static com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants.*

def varCheck = getFieldById(COMPONENTS)

def customFieldvalue = getFieldByName("For Exhibition or Publication")

def options = optionsManager.getOptions(config)

if(varCheck.value.toString().startsWith("_")){

def optionToSelect = options.find { it.value == "Yes" }

else{

def optionToSelect = options.find { it.value == "No" }

Thanks for any help!

Best, Michael J

Suggest an answer