Comments and worklogs restricted to old user group is lost in a project

Karthiga Sethuraj February 22, 2019

Hello,

Self hosted jira.

A user group named "developers" in JIRA server was deleted and replaced with another user group. All the comments and the worklogs that were restricted based on that old user group is lost now. 

We made this change with the assumption that there will be no loss of any data or information.

Now the comments and worklogs that were restricted to the old "developers" group is lost in the tickets.

Is there a way to restore these comments and worklog comments restricted by the old user group ? 

This is the Production Support board and the info in those comments are critical to our day-day. Hence the urgency.

Appreciate your feedback and help.

Thank you,
Karthiga

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2019

The comments and logs are still there, but your removal of the group means that they can't be seen.  Groups are not keyed off their name, but off an ID, even though you've added one with the same name, it's not going to replace the old one because the new group has a new id.

The only things I can think of to "fix" this is a potentially fatal SQL hack or writing scripts to find and remove restrictions on the comments and worklogs.

Thank you for the feedback. I understand that this was caused by the user. But would Atlassian be able to help us in providing any inputs to build those scripts.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Can-we-restore-comments-restricted-to-a-deleted-project-role/qaq-p/210218

I came across a similar issue, except that we did not delete the project role just deleted the user group associated with that Project Role.

Previously the comments visibility were restricted by "Project Role Only" called Developers. 

The user group in that Project Role was only deleted & replaced with a new one. This Role still exists now. 

And we changed the "comment visibility" option in JIRA Settings > System > General Configuration from "Project Roles only" to "Groups & Project Roles"  

This change allowed users to restrict comments & worklogs by the new user group instead of the Project Role. 

Next Options to Restore these invisible comments & worklog:

1. Will I still be able to retrieve the old comments restricted by the Project Role ? Atleast take a dump into excel for future reference. After I find the DB id for the project role with the help of my sysadmin. 

2. If I switch back the comment visibility setting to Project Role will it help restore the comments ?

Highly appreciate your feedback and inputs!!

Thank you.

Karthiga Sethuraj February 24, 2019

I think I fixed the visibility issue by adding the new user group to the Project role. Waiting for the team to double check and confirm that the issue is resolved.

Eduardo Marques September 17, 2019

Dear ksethuraj,

Did you manage to resolve this issue? If yes, what were the actions done?

Best regards,

Eduardo

Suggest an answer