Comment transition not working

mobunti May 30, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Automating your service desk

I've recently  installed the trial of service desk on jira on our server however I can't  seem to get the transitions to work to take the ticket from "waiting on customer"  to "waiting on support" .  The comment comes  in and updates the ticket but the status doesn't change.  When I go into the ticket and click on "respond to support" , knowing that a ticket update has come in, it instantly changes to "respond to customer" before I've typed anything so it obviously realises it's in the wrong state but the automation just doesn't change anything. This is via email response and without the user being a portal user. I. E it's an open system and ive just created a test user by emailing in a ticket, responding to it via the service desk, getting the response as a user and responding back again as the email user.

I'm just testing at the moment .Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

Tony 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

@Tony Byng,

Did you setup the automation rule?

Step by step:

1. Access the project
  2. Click on Project Settings
  3. Click on Automation
  4. If you have not any rule to transition on comment then create one clicking on Add rule
  5. Choose Transition on Comment
  6. Setup a rule like this:

transition on comment.png

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

Lemme know if I helped you. Regards!

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2016
mobunti May 31, 2016

Lameck

Thanks for the message. Yes Its this automation rule I'm having problems with.  I'll try to summarise what Ive done but Ive tried so many things over the last 4 days to get it to work, I am wondering if starting again might be a better job

Ive activated the ability to have an open system and Ive set this support desk as open. Ive set up the mailbox and confirmed receipt of the "anonymous" test message. Ive then set up the automation by activating the "transition rule" but leaving everything else as is. The rule is running under the admin user.

When I sent a ticket in from a hotmail account (i.e. not the account im logged in with as an agent), it got created in JIRA and was set to be "respond to customer"/"awaiting support" mode which was all correct. I then click on "respond to customer" button, provide a dummy comment and hit the button to send to customer and it successfully sets the status to "waiting for customer".  I then go to my hotmail account and i see the ticket has been responded to so i hit reply and respond back.

First time I did this, nothing happened and then I set the permission for "Add Comments" to "Responder" and that allowed the comment to be created (the normal permissions appear to allow comments from the portal but not via email or as a servicedesk user). Ive noted that many times, the response from the 'customer' is flagged as "INTERNAL" which confused me, but anyway, the comment comes in now, however the status doesnt change.  When I change the automation so it literally says "If a comment is created then set the status to "awaiting support" it does work so I know the automations are running but for some reason its not seeing this as a customer comment to do the "if / else" code

Should I have had to add the permission for "Responder" to add comments?, - as that seems like it should be something that would be automatic if the emailing customer has the ability to create the ticket by email

Thanks for any advice. I am seriously considering hitting delete on this project and starting from scratch but everything is set up and working except this one thing.

Tony.

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2016

Tony, 

Perhaps you'll have more success starting again. But...

Do you have teamviewer to remote access? If you want... I could access your project and try help you.

My email is lameck@diferencialti.com.br

And my skype is lameck_oliveira

Regards! 

mobunti May 31, 2016

Hi

Thanks for that. I'll try starting again and if I have problems, I might take you up on your kind offer. Can I ask before I do start again, in your experience, should I have to be adding Reporter to permissions to allow Comments to be added to an existing ticket  owned by that person? And from your experience is it okay for the  transition to run as the project lead/administrator rather than the user the ticket is being updated by. Im wondering if its these permission changes that might be causing some problems, but if youve had to flag a Reporter permission to get it to work then at least I'll know Im on the right road,

Many thanks for your time.   

Tony

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2016

Tony,

Sorry for the delay. :/ Well, did you have any progress? 

Lemme know about it. laugh 

And about your last questions, it's depends. I can't answer without the big picture. 

Regards! 

mobunti June 1, 2016

Lameck

Thanks very much for your guidance. I think Ive figured it out!  After having created a new support desk project and still getting the same problem I would have torn my hair out if I had any. But after returning back to it tonight (its 22.30 here now) I think Ive tracked it down.

Im just doing final tests but it seems that in my "learning" phase I created a pop3 pickup from within JIRA itself  and then subsequently in the support desk and I think this is why i needed to get permissions sorted because i think it was JIRA that was picking the messages up. I found these settings earlier, removed them and now the tests Ive run seem to be working wink without me having to set permissions. My SLA seems to have stopped  but I can fix that over time. I'll probably have this nailed down by the end of tonight and will confirm, if nothing else in case it helps others in similar circumstances

Thanks again!

Tony 

mobunti June 2, 2016

Lameck

From what I can see, everything seems to be working now. I'll flag your answer as an accepted one because it is the correct way/place to do it,  even though it was me that was doing the wrong thing by also having JIRA email set up to the same pickup place. many thanks for your help. Nice to know there are people like you to guide us newbies around things!

Tony

0 votes
mobunti May 31, 2016
Chris

Thanks very much for the reply. Its different accounts - i created a service desk admin account using my work email to reply to the tickets from a company perspective and then used my hotmail account to send messages in.
Ive actually progressed further this morning but still not there yet
I set up a new automation which simply said "if a comment comes in, set the system to indicate the customer has responded" and it worked but as soon as i integrate any kind of "if" statements it seems to not comply.  I wondered if this user is  an "inbetweener" - not an agent but not a "customer" - it does appear in the customer list  but i havent activated a password or anything to log in as this hotmail customer in the portal as i dont expect most users to use anything other than email. 
I noticed that my automation was running as the administrator for this request but the automation says "if user is...." so i changed it to run as the user who actioned the comment and that didnt get any further, although Im just going to check the permissions side of things but i wouldnt have thought i'd have had to set up permissions  for comment transitions if the permissions for comments are there. Im coming from a zendesk background so most of this is new to me. I have a feeling that maybe starting the project from scratch might be an idea and ditch any accidental settings that might have happened along the way!
Tony
0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2016

Are you running all your tests as the same user? Or is the email user a separate customer account?

Suggest an answer