Comment more issues during a bulk transition

Loredana September 19, 2019

Hi,

We want to do a bulk transition and at the same time write the a comment on all of issues like, the reason for dropping the user stories. In that particular transition I made the comment field as a mandatory condition, but the screen doesn't pop-up in order to enter the comment and the transition fails because it's a mandatody field.

Do you know any way of doing this? The comment must be entered each time, it an not be a generic automated text.

Many thanks!

BR,

Loredana

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Krister Broman [Advania]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Making the field mandatory will not display it, you need to either add a screen to the workflow transition or to populate the field through the transition itself by pressing Edit and then choosing which screen to display. 

Also from what you are saying this sounds like it would be better to use resolution instead of comments as that is Jiras way of stating what happened when completing an issue. Just add new resolutions that comply with what is happening. Resolution can also easily be added directly into the workflow transition. 

Thank you for the reply. The screen is set for that transition to display the comment field, yes. The resolution like "won't fix" is not enough, they want to enter a particular explanation for why it's not going to be implemented.

Like Robel_Berhane likes this
Krister Broman [Advania]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

You can easily add such explanations by customizing the available resolutions but anyway to your original question.

I reread your question and the issue i guess is related to the screen not showing in the bulk transition, have you created it yourself and does it contain any other field than the comment field? If it does not have it try to add some of the standard fields as well such as assignee.

If the screen does not display then you are going to get an error with a failed transition.

You can also try to do it in two steps first bulk edit and change the comment then bulk transition. 

Although i still think it is much easier to have a transition that automatically adds your specific resolution since you are standardizing the response anyway ;-)

0 votes
Dominik Žarković September 19, 2019

It is not possible to bulk comment if every comment will be different. You can bulk comment but then all issues will have the same explanation I guess this is not ok. 

We want the same comment on all issues, we just wanted to do it in one step while doing a transition. It seems the only way so far is in two steps, bulk change - edit issues - comment and then bulk change - transition issues.

Dominik Žarković September 19, 2019

If you have scriptrunner you can make post-function script that will add that comment and then just bulk transition. 

Suggest an answer