Comment is duplicated in Customer Notification emails

Evan Winter August 10, 2017

1. Customer creates a new issue.

2. Agent opens Edit screen to edit the issue and adds a comment in the process. [Edit: This ONLY happens when the comment is added via the Edit Issue screen. If comment is added in the comment box on the View Issue screen, the email contains the comment only once.]

3. Customer receives the typical email for the Public Comment Added, but the comment within the email is shown twice, like so:

double-comment.PNG

I'm totally at a loss for why this is happening, and how to resolve it.

Here's the configuration for the notification (haven't changed from default):

comment-added-config.PNG

I tried changing the Timeout as described here. I tried increasing it to 20000, 40000, and 60000. The problem persisted.

I checked atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log and there were no errors being reported.

There are no Automation rules configured that add comments or send emails about added comments.

This is a customer notification, so I don't think it would be an issue with my Notification scheme.

The workflow transition during/after which this email is sent has no additional post functions. Only the three that come by default:

create-f.PNG

Does anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

4 answers

0 votes
Belto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

This is a bug that is now fixed in JIRA server (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4968).

Jira cloud users are experiencing this and a fix for this bug is currently in progress (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5764).

Sarah Thomay January 15, 2019

I am still seeing this issue in our Server version of JIRA/Service Desk.  What do we need to do to add in this fix?

Dean Robinson November 30, 2020

We are using Automation to add a comment to a request and getting the duplication - how do we get this fixed? Using server version of JIRA/Service Desk (4.11)

0 votes
Abby Welbourn December 1, 2017

I have the same issue on Cloud. Would be great if anyone has a fix. I have a Comment Field validator to require Agents to comment before transitioning the item, and have the Public Comment notification turned on so my customers don't miss comments outside the workflow.

0 votes
Sander Hollebrand November 22, 2017

The same issue happens here, on a Jira Cloud instance. Very annoying.

0 votes
Matthew Nigro September 19, 2017

Same issue, only from the Edit Issue Screen, and I've disabled all f the notifications except Open Issue, Public Response, and Resolved Issue. Same with Workflow, Automation, all that.

Suggest an answer