Color cards query for linked issues status?

Daniel Ronnstam June 7, 2021

Hi. I'm trying to find a JQL formula that I can put into Color cards in Board settings. The formula needs to check the following;

1. If an issue is located in the column TO TEST, then

2. Check if ALL the linked issues (related to) in the issue have their status set to TO TEST.

3. If so, then color the card with a color.

4. If not, then color the card with another color (maybe a new formula?).

So, all linked issues need to be in TO TEST status, then all the issue cards get a color.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ronnstam June 10, 2021

Actually, I set it up almost to completion in Jira Cloud automation. The only thing I lack is the ability to change card color. I don't find it in the parameter list but there are some smart parameters or what their name is. Can I use those? If so, what is the syntax to address card color?

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

In terms of the "left side color bar" for cards (the built-in way that Jira can color cards on a board), that is exclusively controlled by the "Board Settings > Card Colors" configuration for a board. There aren't any "issue fields" that control card color.

If you are using a Marketplace app that allows for some control of card color, then that App might have added a custom field for the color. In that case, check with the App documentation to figure out the custom field name, which should be easily accessible thru automation.

If you are NOT using a Marketplace app related to card colors (and relying on Jira Cloud out-of-the-box card coloring), then a different approach is needed. You can create your own custom field and use automation to set that field (sounds like you have that automation logic working). The just configure the "Card Colors" on the board to look at your custom field.

Depending on your automation rule triggers, and the time needed to execute the rule(s), there may be some lag between changes to the board and the color being updated in the UI.

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Jira Cloud doesn't have JQL subqueries or the kind of aggregate "issue link" functionality you are needing here. So out-of-the-box you will not be able to construct the JQL you need for this.

There are likely to be apps in the Atlassian Marketplace that extend Jira's JQL capabilities. You'll likely need a paid app, but keep in mind they all have a free trial period. So you'll be able to validate that it works for your use-case before the app's first billing cycle.

I also thought about how you might be able to use Jira Automation to help here, but due to a variety of known issues (too much detail to go into here), I haven't got a solution there.

Can anyone suggest a good Marketplace app to help extend JQL to help solve this use case?

Suggest an answer