Closed Epic and all (closed) user stories appear in the backlog

Eleanor Tsang January 28, 2020

Hi, 

We deployed a release and I wanted to close Epics associated with that release. I went into Epic panel and selected "Mark as Done". I go back to the backlog after all the clean up and see that all previously closed user stories associated with those closed Epics are now in the backlog. Using JIRA cloud.

Is this a bug, or how can we fix this? 

1 answer

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

Hello @Eleanor Tsang 

I tried your scenario in my instance and i have the same result, so i think that is how is work.

The issue diplayed in the board come from a filter. That being said, "Mark as done" option change the epic status and not the issue status.

You'll need  to write a query that will find stories link to an epic that have an epic status = Done.

But to write this query you will need an addon like scriptrunner 

Hope this helps.

Thanks, @Mohamed Benziane .

From a product standpoint, why would this be working as expected and not a bug? Closed user stories and closed Epics should be closed and not pulled back into the backlog.

Also, wondering if this is happening to anyone else or if it's our board configuration as I'm trying to search similar issues in Community and not seeing. 

Actually, never mind. It was another configuration of the board that impacted user stories appearing in backlog. 

Closing issue.

Jayavel Seerangan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 16, 2022

Dear @Eleanor Tsang - the closed stories appeared in my backlog starting from last sprint. What was the configuration change you made and how it's get fixed? Please suggest. 

Suggest an answer