Clearing multiple custom fields using Jira Automation

Dan James April 26, 2023

Hello community! 

I've recently started covering a lot more of the creation of Jira Projects for my company and have been asked to find a way to null out certain custom fields when a new record is created via Cloning.

The best way that I've found (thanks google and other forums!) is to try an use Jira Automation and create a JSON. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at JSON, so everything I've tried hasn't worked out. 

This is the best I've come up with (There are 11 fields I'm trying to null out, each starting with CAB) and the Automation trigger is when an incident is created then edit issue, so there will be some cases when fields will be empty already.

{
"fields": {
"CAB - Planning Start Time": null,
"CAB - SRE Technical Review Start Time": null,
"CAB - Pending Marketing Review Start Time": null,
"CAB - Marketing Review Completed Start Time": null,
"CAB - Pending CAB Approval Start Time": null,
"CAB - Pending Deployment Start Time": null,
"CAB - In Progress Start Time": null,
"CAB - Post Verification Start Time": null,
"CAB - Success Start Time": null,
"CAB - Cancel Start Time": null,
"CAB - Rollback Start Time": null,
}
}

Any assistance on what I can do to make this better & work would be very much appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi @Dan James - You should not need JSON for this.  You should be able to simply add the fields to your Edit Issue action and leave them blank.

Dan James April 26, 2023

@Mark Segal Have I been overthinking this the whole time? Is it that simple?

I've set the automation to do "When Issue is created, then Edit field (list of fields) and did not put values in. I'll see what comes up the next time it runs!

I appreciate the quick support! 

Like Mark Segall likes this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

I would never accuse anyone of overthinking.  😉 Yes... It should be that simple.  Looking forward to the results of that next rule execution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events