Changing requester does not send email notifications to them

matthewsfletcher October 14, 2014

We are new to the Help Desk and so far we love it. One of the issues we are having is that when a customer (who is setup in the Help Desk as a "customer") sends me an email directly instead of to the Help Desk, I forward it to the Help Desk email so that a ticket is created. Of course, because I forwarded it, I now receive all of the email notifications instead of the actual user because it technically came from my email. That all makes sense.

The Issue is that I then go into the ticket and select the original user as the "Requester" so that the ticket is properly associated. What I would expect to happen at this point is that the user (now the requester) would receive email notifications going forward, but I continue to get all of the notifications and they receive nothing.

Is there a way to make it so that the new Requester receives the notifications to their email so that I do not have to try to keep them updated outside of the Help Desk?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Jorge B May 23, 2020

Hi,

This is old topic already, but I found the same issue in our environment.

We have Service Desk and when a customer requests something, the notification works perfectly. However, if the technician opens the ticket in behalf of the requester, the notifications stop. It is the same if we change the requester in the ticket.

So far, I reviewed the roles to ensure that the users count with the permissions required, and the full list of notifications. All count with "Customers Involved" and some of them the "Requester" itself.

As a temporary solution I thought to add the requesters as watchers, so they will receive them. However, I receive this message:

There was an error adding watcher

• The user XXXXXX does not have permission to view this issue. This user will not be added to the watch list.

I could find also that users not related to the ticket cannot be mentioned or added as watchers unless they are technicians or administrators.

Is there any idea why this behavior could be happening? The only thing I can think about is that there is any kind of ticket level permission which I couldn't find.

Thanks!

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2014

Hi Matthew,

You mean "Reporter", not "Requester" right?

If so, when you change the associated reporter, if his email is correctly set, then he should start receiving notifications message and you should stop, unless you assigned yourself as a watcher of the issue.

You can check under your Project's Notification and see if the Reporter of the issue is set to be notified by the system, if it's not, then that might be the problem.

Hope it helps! laugh

Suggest an answer