Changing project from "Business" type to "Software" without impacting workflow and data.

Sabby Singh December 24, 2018

I want to change my existing project type which is in "Business" to "Software" without losing my current workflow and data. Is this possible? If yes, please provide me the steps

4 answers

4 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 24, 2018

Sabby, 

This is possible. Below are the steps. 

1) Navigate to project you want to change to a Software type. Click on "Project Settings".

2) Make sure you are on the "Details" tab of the project settings page.

3) Change "Project type" from Business to Software. This requires Admin level permissions within the cloud environment.

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 6.03.49 AM.png

Dan June 11, 2019

This option isn't available to me in the latest Jira Cloud (Jira 0d422e7e). Project Type is greyed-out option with an info popover that reads:

"To change project type, create a new project and bulk move your issues into it.
Read our step-by-step instructions"

The instructions tell you to create a new project and migrate any issues. 🤦‍♂️

Like # people like this
codinachssm February 12, 2020

Have you solved this problem? I am at the same situation...

Like # people like this
Kimberly Luttenbacher July 29, 2020

I see the same thing; "create new project and migrate issues".  But we have custom workflows, notifications, permissions, components, versions...that would all have to be re-done after a migration.  "Throw it all away and start over" really is NOT a good option! 

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2020

If you are not switching from classic to next-gen or vice-versa, you should be able to re-use all schemes etc, so you don't have to redo all your config.

Like Jindřich Löffler likes this
2 votes
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2018

When you create a Software project, you'll get specific features as a workflow, board and Agile-specific issue types tailored to the chosen template.

Keeping your current workflow depends a bit on the Business template you've chosen. Only the default business workflow for Project Management is similar to the default software simplified workflow for Scrum software development.

1 vote
Peter Jones March 1, 2023

Hmm... this sounds like a complete mess. I can see no reason for us to have this extra project type. I am curious about the business value that encouraged this extra complexity?

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2018

Hello,

Go to project settings -> Details and change the Project Type field

Mustafa Slatewalla June 6, 2021

what are the impacts of changing from biz to software.

i am thinking of this, cos recently i added two new workflows to my issue types and the JIRA core board failed saying multiple workflows cant show up in this board

hence was thinking of changing from Biz to software

Suggest an answer