Changing JIRA User to Portal (customer) only Edited

With the upcoming changes to the cloud pricing to be per user, this question has become even more important which is:

How do you change a user with JIRA access to now only be a customer? i.e. portal only access. 

The cloud instance I'm currently working on has a number of users who no longer need access to JIRA projects as they only need to use the service desk portal to create and manage their requests.

I've tried a lot of different ways but essentially it appears that the only way a user can now have portal only access if they were an existing JIRA user with JIRA access etc (after the portal only checkbox has been removed) is to leave them as a user but remove all their groups. As noted above though, that means that we would end up paying for a user license for someone who should now be a customer only due to internal restructure. 

(If I deactivate the user, it will not them log in as a customer only because the email address is already in use and the user has been deactivated.)

Anyone else can think of another way? Or is it going to be a feature request/fug to JSD as I suspect?

Thanks

5 answers

2 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote

It appears to be something missed in the customer mapping so I have raised it as a suggestion for JSD Cloud. Link here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5460

Accepted Answer
0 votes

Hi all, this seems to have been resolved by Atlassian silently. Now when you remove the application access on the user on Cloud user management (by unchecking the checked application boxes), they become purely a customer and the license count for the applications drops by one. Not as neat as the previous one-click solution but at least we are now no longer being charged for users that are now customers due to restructures, mistakes etc.

I tested this out on a client's affected Cloud instance on a colleague's account and confirmed that everything works as expected and as a customer, he is still able to log in and create requests via the JSD portal with the same login details etc. 

Hope this helps!

0 votes

Hi Karalee,

At this point the only way is to remove the Application access as you have done so this would be a great candidate for a Suggestion on JAC.  Once you create it please post the ticket number here so others can comment and vote on it!

Cheers,

Branden

Thanks. Disappointing that I was right :P

I've created a suggestion and added a link as the accepted answer. 

Would SAML be supported for JIRA SERVICE DESK Portal only customers?

We also need a user provisioning for customer service portal via SAML SSO token.

Hi Alex. You'll have more success getting this answered if you post this as your own question as an answered question doesn't have the same visibility. 

@Aleksey Shchukin Have you every figured this out? This is beyond any frustration. I can't believe this is not spelled out anywhere.

Was there any resolution to this? I don't have the "Restricted portal access" checkbox on Jira user management.

My User:

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 8.44.31 AM.pngDocumentation for converting a user to Service Desk only:

Selection_150.png

Hi. No. I've raised a suggestion which is linked above. Please vote for it

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

21,683 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you