Changing Custom Field context affects old issues?

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

Hi,

I have the next situation. I have a Custom Field: Variant cascade selection:

Main selection: A  Second: 1, 2, 3

Main selection: B  Second: 4, 5, 6

Global context

I want to created a specific project context:

Main selection V1 Second: a, b, c

Main selection V2 Second: x, y, z

My question is if the old issues, the one that are opened are affected by this potential change?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2019

Yes, all issues in a project are affected when you re-configure a project.

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

I make a Test and it is strange.

The Field keep the old value but when i try to edit it Display the new values.

Did you know anything about this?

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2019

New.JPGOld.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2019

That does make sense - when you put value X on a field, you expect it to stay there until someone changes it, or the value for X has changed.

You've not really said to do either of those with the context change, you've changed the list it draws values from.  So the issue will retain X until changed.

Jodi Gornick October 1, 2019

We are facing this issue and now trying to find where projects have a new context, but issues have a value from the old context so that we can update the values before they are lost. I was trying to do it inline on a screen by finding fields changing values (in these cases they are set to none) and either validate the value against the current context and add a message to the user to select a valid value. I have not found a perfect option yet sans writing a behaviour that will evaluate all the fields that are in this situation and looping through them to provide a user with notification.

This all stems form: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62455 which now we are trying to find a way to do damage control.

If anyone else has thoughts on options I would love to hear them :)

Suggest an answer