Change JIRA Comment Viewable by default

Phil Penton August 6, 2013

Our team needs to change the comment default viewable by... Where or how can we do this?

Using OnDemand....

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

@Phil, I run into this problem with my staff a lot, too. They do learn to check the visibility setting, but it is prone to error. It sounds like you are more worried about comment notifications getting sent to issue reporters than you are about reporters logging into JIRA and reading the comments. Is that true?

If so, one suggestion I read somewhere said to work around this by limiting the issue-commented event notification so it doesn't go to the reporter. Then, create a special workflow transition called "Comment to Reporter" or some such that fires a custom event whose notifications list includes the Reporter. That is certainly a large work-around. Being able to change the default would make this much easier, but that's one possible work-around.

Branden Frederick August 6, 2013
We do this on our install. The drawback is that if the reporter then emails in a new comment, that comment is not automatically distributed to the watchers. The reporter would have to use the web interface to login to JIRA and click the button to trigger that workflow action. I'm looking into using a scripting plugin so that if the reporter on a ticket adds a comment, that comment automatically triggers a workflow action, but I haven't figured out if this is even possible yet.
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

@Branden, it sounds like you have turned off notifications for the issue-commented event for both reporter and watchers. If so, can you put watchers back into the issue-commented event in your notification scheme to avoid the problem you describe?

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

it is not feasible as of now in jira ,

already issue submited with atlasiian, check this

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9091

some workaround Javascript is there her but i am not sue it on ondemand

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/135332/the-comment-visibility-default-selection-can-be-configured

Phil Penton August 6, 2013

Thanks... Ouch. We use Zendesk. That means all comments will flow back to the issue reporter... thats a major problem. Asking the team to remember to change the 'viewable by' everytime is not feasible.

Too bad.. VersionOne and others allow this....

Suggest an answer