Cascading Custom Field Multi-select

Antoine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2016

Hello everyone, I am a bit annoyed because of a small problem ..
I created a custom field, type cascading and I would incorporate a multi-select  on the second list, someone would have a solution to this problem?

Hoping to have been clear, and understandable.

3 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2016

You'll need code to do that - I'm not aware of any add-ons that provide such a field directly.  This is not something you can bodge with javascript on a cascading select as the field physically stores a single option, you will need a new field type for it.

If you've got behaviours (from Script Runner add-on) or another add-on that can link fields, you could have a single-select and a multiselect linked together to behave a lot like a cascading multi-select.

Antoine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2016

Thank you for your detailed answer, I'll see what I can do, if it ends I will inform on this post.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2016

By the way, Peter's answer has just made me realise that I have made an assumption that you wanted a particular result.

He's suggested the "multi level cascading select" - this is a good option, but still only has one value stored.  I've assumed you wanted to select many options in the second list.

In case that's not clear, let's say you look at a normal cascading select:

First column optionSecond column option
State

<none>

Ohio
Washington
Texas

County<none>
Berkshire
Northamptonshire
Lancashire

In this, you can only end up storing one value - a single one of the eight options in the second column

What I think you asked for is

col 1col 2
State

<none>

Ohio
Washington
Texas

County<none>
Berkshire
Northamptonshire
Lancashire

Storing several options together - County:Berkshire, County:Lancashire aand State:Ohio all in the same field.

What the Multi-level thing does is give you more layers.  But it still stores a single answer.

col 1col 2col 3col 4

Antoine
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2016

What I am looking it would for example have in the end the values of "Washington" and "Ohio".

The first list will be a single select list, and the second list will be a multi-select list.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2016

Hi  Nic and Antoine,
I'm looking for a similar thing. 
Multi-level cascading on the second list (Given a single option in list 1, multiple options stored in list 2). Just like the County, Country example that Nic provided. 

Did you find a way to do it?

Antoine
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2016

I have unfortunately found nothing

Kalpana Ramesh September 19, 2016

Hi. Are there any alternative ways to achieve this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2016

There are two ways I know of to do it, both given above.

Hi Nic, you suggest linking a select and a multi select list. 

How can that be done?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2016

I'd go get one of my colleagues who knows how to configure Behaviours in the Script Runner

Yes, Thank you!

siva September 2, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

as you have mentioned , i have a request to attended,

tried customfields from script runner but still missing some thing, could you check and suggest a way i can make it possible.

Custom field  A  Drop down list  user select custom field
   (A,B,C,D)  (can select multiple users)

Any possibility i can acheive this .

Thank you

jordan January 15, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Any code examples would be incredibly helpful as I'm stuck on this at the moment, too.

Thanks

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020
jordan January 16, 2020

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

jordan January 16, 2020

I'm new to Jira, so thank you for bearing with me.  I created 2 Custom Select List Fields -- one Select List (single choice), one Select List (multiple choices) -- and put them on the correct screens, etc.  I created a new Behavior with them and mapped them to the project.  I put the code from here (https://library.adaptavist.com/entity/set-available-options-to-a-multi-select-list) into the Single Select List script field and changed the appropriate names in the script with the cases in the switch statement being the Single Select field options I want and the setOptions being the Multi Select field options I want.  I've tried this with seed data in the original fields and without (thinking the script might populate the field options).  Nothing seems to be working.  Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong from the above information?  Thanks again.

jordan January 21, 2020

I think I figured it out.

shubham.thukral March 2, 2020

Jordon,

Can you please share what was the issue ? 

jordan March 2, 2020

I removed the "package scripts.setAvailableSelectListOptions" from line 1 of the code and it works.

shubham.thukral March 2, 2020

Thank you so much for your quick response. Much appreciated.

Tanu April 6, 2020

@jordan , i wanted to know did you create two fields where :-

1) Single Select Type and another 2) Multi select type.

So how will they act like cascading fields?

I have a need where i want multiselection of options in cascading type of field, is that relatable to the code you used?

please guide me here i am stuck.

Like Maksim_Feshchanka likes this
1 vote
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2016

Hi Antoine,

There is no native way to do that, as the native cascading selects are not multiple.

Regards,

Peter

Antoine
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2016

Thanks for your answer

Michel_Lavoie November 29, 2019

I wish I could try it but I am on Jira Cloud :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2019

Yes, I'm afraid Cloud can't/won't support it.

rjiao May 21, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- hello Nic, confirmed that MLCS add on doesn't work on Jira cloud.

Do you know how do we achieve this? could the ScriptRunner for Jira cloud help this? or coding with Jira cloud api?  

thanks!

Like Maksim_Feshchanka likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2020

Cloud cannot support this, it's not changed since my last comment.

Like robin Jiao likes this

Suggest an answer