Cascading Custom Field Multi-select

Hello everyone, I am a bit annoyed because of a small problem ..
I created a custom field, type cascading and I would incorporate a multi-select  on the second list, someone would have a solution to this problem?

Hoping to have been clear, and understandable.

2 answers

2 votes

You'll need code to do that - I'm not aware of any add-ons that provide such a field directly.  This is not something you can bodge with javascript on a cascading select as the field physically stores a single option, you will need a new field type for it.

If you've got behaviours (from Script Runner add-on) or another add-on that can link fields, you could have a single-select and a multiselect linked together to behave a lot like a cascading multi-select.

Thank you for your detailed answer, I'll see what I can do, if it ends I will inform on this post.

By the way, Peter's answer has just made me realise that I have made an assumption that you wanted a particular result.

He's suggested the "multi level cascading select" - this is a good option, but still only has one value stored.  I've assumed you wanted to select many options in the second list.

In case that's not clear, let's say you look at a normal cascading select:

First column optionSecond column option
State

<none>

Ohio
Washington
Texas

County<none>
Berkshire
Northamptonshire
Lancashire

In this, you can only end up storing one value - a single one of the eight options in the second column

What I think you asked for is

col 1col 2
State

<none>

Ohio
Washington
Texas

County<none>
Berkshire
Northamptonshire
Lancashire

Storing several options together - County:Berkshire, County:Lancashire aand State:Ohio all in the same field.

What the Multi-level thing does is give you more layers.  But it still stores a single answer.

col 1col 2col 3col 4

What I am looking it would for example have in the end the values of "Washington" and "Ohio".

The first list will be a single select list, and the second list will be a multi-select list.

Hi  Nic and Antoine,
I'm looking for a similar thing. 
Multi-level cascading on the second list (Given a single option in list 1, multiple options stored in list 2). Just like the County, Country example that Nic provided. 

Did you find a way to do it?

I have unfortunately found nothing

Hi. Are there any alternative ways to achieve this?

There are two ways I know of to do it, both given above.

Hi Nic, you suggest linking a select and a multi select list. 

How can that be done?

I'd go get one of my colleagues who knows how to configure Behaviours in the Script Runner

Yes, Thank you!

Hi Antoine,

There is no native way to do that, as the native cascading selects are not multiple.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks for your answer

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,943 views 19 22
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you