Cannot move issues from IN PROGRESS to TO DO in Kanban board

Siva TN April 25, 2019

Hi,

Our client created a Kanban project in Jira. There we have three columns TO DO, IN PROGRESS and DONE. But, we cannot move the issue from IN PROGRESS to TO DO. However, I can move it to DONE. 

jira1.JPGjira2.png

Please help me with this. 

1 answer

1 vote
Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2019

Hallo @Siva TN , that happens because of the workflow which is related with the issues! The board holds statuses! This means that the issues which are in the column "In Progress" can move to "Done" column because they have a transition step to "Done" status!

But not to the steps of column "To Do" (which contains the statuses "Selected for Delivery" & "Backlog")

Regards

Siva TN April 25, 2019

I have checked and see that they haven't set any workflows. 

Siva TN April 25, 2019

I understand the Column TO DO contains the statuses "Selected for Delivery" & "Backlog". At this point, can you please tell me what should I have to do to make this work? 

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2019

As i explain above! To move the issue to column TO DO , the issue itself should be able to move to statuses "Selected for Delivery" or "Backlog" from the status "In Progress".

To make it work , you should ask your admnistrators to add a transition from status "In Progress" -> "Selected for Delivery" or "Backlog"(depends on what makes more sense to your working model) 

Like Haribabu Nelakurthi likes this
Siva TN April 26, 2019

Thanks very much for your information. Since I'm to new JIRA, I don't know how to add a transition from the status. Could you please tell me the process of adding a transition?

Siva TN April 26, 2019

Also, I would like to ask you one more query, why the statuses "Selected for Development" and "Backlog" showing as warning in the column To Do.

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2019

The warning exists because an issue with this status is not existed currently!

Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2019

About the workflows:

Follow the instructions of this link : https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/working-with-workflows-828787890.html

Tip: Have in mind that Atlassian Documentation is extremely helpful ;)

James Schmidt November 7, 2022

You have been very helpful for my situation @Christos Moysiadis !!

Suggest an answer