Cannot @ mention certain users with short names

Matthew Knatz February 23, 2021

I've got an odd one that I haven't been able to figure out. We currently serve users in China and the US and there are a few users that cannot be @mentioned in any project. Permissions are correct in terms of "Browse Users" and project/issue access.

These users can be mentioned via markdown (e.g. [~user.name] ), but no matter how we try, we can't use @. This appears to be because their names are short and duplicated (Yan Yan and Liu Liu)

Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can to make them @mentionable?

Edit - These same users are @mentionable in Confluence, but there appears to be no way to get them in Jira.

Best-

Matt

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2021

Hi @Matthew Knatz  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I found this existing defect report that seems to match what you describe.  Please take a look to confirm, and if so mark that it also impacts your team.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65142

If this doesn't match, I suggest asking your instance admin to submit a support ticket to Atlassian: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Best regards,

Bill

Matthew Knatz February 26, 2021

@Bill Sheboy That seems to match my issue exactly! Apparently the Google Fu is weak with me at the moment. I'll add my voice to chorus. And since I'm the admin, maybe I'll also submit a support ticket. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

Thanks!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2021

Yup, sometimes the browser search works and sometimes not.  I often just look directly in the public backlog, adjusting the project as needed:

https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=project%20IN%20(%22Jira%20Server%20and%20Data%20Center%22)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20summary%20~%20mention%20AND%20summary%20~%20short%20ORDER%20BY%20Key

George November 9, 2021

@Matthew Knatz 

How exactly do you to it with

[~user.name]

it's like [~Jack Smith]?

Matthew Knatz November 9, 2021

@George  - You just use the user's username (do I get extra points for alliteration?).

If my Jira username is mkn, you'd mention me via [~mkn] If you're using email addresses or UPNs as usernames you'd use [~user@domain.org].

I should add that in our Data Center instance Jira accepts the markdown format in both visual and text render views.

George December 3, 2021

@Matthew Knatz 

Hi Matthew, sorry for my late response.

You should get extra points for that certainly :-)

Many thanks for the elaboration. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the Atlassian Cloud :-(

Suggest an answer