Cannot change issue type to Epic

Andrew Chan January 15, 2013

I want to change some issues that I've already created to Epics, but when editing the issues, I do not see the Epic in the Issue Type pulldown (attached pic).

I do see Epic in Issue Type pulldown when I create a new Issue.

Please advise.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2013

As well as John's point that Epic must be valid for the project...

If the field, screen or workflow settings for Epic are radically different to the current issue-type, then you can't simplt "edit" the issue type.

You will need to use "move" (to the same project), as that will go through the required validation and will ask the necessary questions to make sure your data is updated for the new issue-type.

Weird thing is that I was able to reclassify existing Issues to Epic only a week ago. The only change I made between last week and yesterday was a workflow change to allow people to Edit/Reopen Closed issues which was suggested by John in another question (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/120027/epic-permission-problem-in-greenhopper). I would assume that this workflow change doesn't have anything to do with Issues that aren't in closed state.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

In that workflow change did you drop/add any status?

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2013

Hi Andrew,

Can you check the Epic of issue type was associate with any Screen Scheme?

I think I've associated Epic with a Screen Scheme - Default Screen Scheme - as shown in screenshot 1. In screenshot 2, the Default Screen Scheme is associated with the Project (Inkiru Predictive Intelligence Platform, other project have been edited out of the screenshot for confidentiality) that the Epic is in. I've logged out and back in and I still do not see Epic as a selection when Editing an existing issue. Any other places I should check?

SCREENSHOT 1

SCREENSHOT 2

Suggest an answer