Cannot change issue type to Epic

I want to change some issues that I've already created to Epics, but when editing the issues, I do not see the Epic in the Issue Type pulldown (attached pic).

I do see Epic in Issue Type pulldown when I create a new Issue.

Please advise.

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Andrew,

Can you check the Epic of issue type was associate with any Screen Scheme?

I think I've associated Epic with a Screen Scheme - Default Screen Scheme - as shown in screenshot 1. In screenshot 2, the Default Screen Scheme is associated with the Project (Inkiru Predictive Intelligence Platform, other project have been edited out of the screenshot for confidentiality) that the Epic is in. I've logged out and back in and I still do not see Epic as a selection when Editing an existing issue. Any other places I should check?

SCREENSHOT 1

SCREENSHOT 2

0 votes

As well as John's point that Epic must be valid for the project...

If the field, screen or workflow settings for Epic are radically different to the current issue-type, then you can't simplt "edit" the issue type.

You will need to use "move" (to the same project), as that will go through the required validation and will ask the necessary questions to make sure your data is updated for the new issue-type.

Weird thing is that I was able to reclassify existing Issues to Epic only a week ago. The only change I made between last week and yesterday was a workflow change to allow people to Edit/Reopen Closed issues which was suggested by John in another question (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/120027/epic-permission-problem-in-greenhopper). I would assume that this workflow change doesn't have anything to do with Issues that aren't in closed state.

Renjith Pillai Community Champion Jan 16, 2013

In that workflow change did you drop/add any status?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,991 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot