Can you create a permission for subtask creation?

I only want certain project roles to be able to create subtasks, and would like to create a permission to limit this. Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

I don't think you can create a permission that would remove the option to create a sub-task; what we've done is to add a Validator to the 'Create' transition on the workflow which checks that the current user is in one of the Project-Roles which we have decided is allowed to create that type of sub-task. If they are not, then they will see an error message when they click the 'Create' button.

Just to extend Alex answer, I found that it looks this won't be an option by default from Atlassian.

There are two issues about this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5865

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5476

This can only be achieved with workarounds.

Thanks Alex and Ramiro. This is consistent with what I thought, I was just wondering if there was a workaround. I am currently using the validator for this, but the error message isn't very user friendly and looks like an error rather than an intentional message, so I was hoping there was another way. Thanks for your responses!

I am trying to add a Validator to the Create Issue transition but I do not see one that allows me to check that the user is in a particular project role. Am I missing something?

Hi Corey, it's better if you create a new question, because this is answered so nobody enters in this one...

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

543 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you