Can you change the label name for the version field?

Ash February 11, 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to change the label name for the version field in Jira? We have a lot of non-software projects that we'd like to use Jira for and the term is confusing to our non-IT folks.

We'd like to use something like milestone or phase and have this appear on the Jira project screens such as the summary, issues and road map for that project.

Cheers - Ash

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

Yes and no - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Customizing+Text does it, but it's global.

Actually, you can't do this by project at all - it's not logically possible. Even though it's perfectly logical on the surgace, it doesn't really work out when you think it through. A lot of bits of Jira are not project specific, so if you say "version" for projects A and B, and "thingy" for project C and D, then what do you do when someone runs a filter for "issues in projects A and C"? It doesn't work.

What you could do one step up from customising text. Create new language pack. This was put in to allow people to swap between English, German, French and so-on, on a personal basis. If you copy "English" for example, and edit the copy to be "non IT geek English", you can then ask your users to switch language.

Ash February 12, 2013

Thanks for suggestion Nic - I like that idea. I've just opened the jar file "jira-languages-5.2.4-en_UK" and I'm going to edit this and see how I go. Cheers

Ash February 12, 2013

Just to let you know that worked - thanks for your help. This will help me incorporate some of our "firm's language" into the system.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013
Ash February 18, 2013

Thanks Renjith

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events