Can you automatically assign new issue to an Epic?

Tudor Hofnar February 27, 2013

I'm wondering whether there is any way to automatically assign all Issues that are created for a project to an Epic in that project. So when an Issue is created and assigned to 'Project A' it will also automatically be linked to an Epic 'Test Epic', is this possible at all?

If it is not possible any ideas how I can go about developing something like this?

Thanks!

Tudor

3 answers

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 9, 2019

Hi Tudor,

A bit late to the party here but one way you can do this is using the plugin Agile Docs.

This plugin allows you to create your epics, stories and tasks in a nested google doc and automatically creates relationships between them.

In your example, in order to create an issue which automatically has a relationship with a parent Epic, which sits within a specific project, you create a dotpoint under the Epic you want to link to like below:

a-story.pngIn the above example, the issue 'A story' belongs to the Epic 'This is an epic'.If I open up the issue, you can see the relationship with the Epic:

linked-story-and-epic.pngCheers,

Rhys.

0 votes
Bill Latham May 5, 2016

Epic Link is a custom field, so you have to use the Update Custom Field function.  Also, when you choose the epic link, make sure you use the Epic Link's actual issue number, not its name (e.g., MYPROJ-55).

Marlene Vitale March 27, 2018

Can this be done with just a query if you don't know the name or the epic are being created automatically by some other means like Jira Automation?

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2013

Hey,

I would try to work with the JIRA suite utilities plugin. You can create a post function on the create issue transition to update the custom field "epic link"...

Cheers

Christian

Minh Vo April 2, 2013

Hi Christian, how did you do that?..field "Epic link" or any Epic fields is not present when using Add post function -> Update Issue field

Brock martin December 20, 2016

Is this working when the issue is being emailed.

I have the "Epic Link" Custom field value being populated with correct issue number on Create which works when creating ticket in JIRA, but when emailing the issue in using JIRA incoming mail handler it does not populate the custom "Epic Link" field with the value on create.

Anyone else seeing this?

DT Ops September 20, 2018

Did any one get the answer for this? I am also not having any option for Epic when emailing issue with incoming mail handler.

Suggest an answer