Can you automatically assign new issue to an Epic?

I'm wondering whether there is any way to automatically assign all Issues that are created for a project to an Epic in that project. So when an Issue is created and assigned to 'Project A' it will also automatically be linked to an Epic 'Test Epic', is this possible at all?

If it is not possible any ideas how I can go about developing something like this?

Thanks!

Tudor

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hey,

I would try to work with the JIRA suite utilities plugin. You can create a post function on the create issue transition to update the custom field "epic link"...

Cheers

Christian

Hi Christian, how did you do that?..field "Epic link" or any Epic fields is not present when using Add post function -> Update Issue field

Is this working when the issue is being emailed.

I have the "Epic Link" Custom field value being populated with correct issue number on Create which works when creating ticket in JIRA, but when emailing the issue in using JIRA incoming mail handler it does not populate the custom "Epic Link" field with the value on create.

Anyone else seeing this?

Did any one get the answer for this? I am also not having any option for Epic when emailing issue with incoming mail handler.

This widget could not be displayed.

Epic Link is a custom field, so you have to use the Update Custom Field function.  Also, when you choose the epic link, make sure you use the Epic Link's actual issue number, not its name (e.g., MYPROJ-55).

Can this be done with just a query if you don't know the name or the epic are being created automatically by some other means like Jira Automation?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 58m ago in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

8 views 0 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you