Can we use one DB to Install Multiple Atlassian Applications ?

Sandeep Nagaraja August 5, 2013

Gang

We have JIRA / Confluence / Bamboo / Fisheye installed on same Oracle 11g DB (SID) with different schema names for different applications. Now i am planning to migrate these applications from 2003 server to 2008 server , while i am doing this a question came to my mind.

Is it a good practice to have all the app's under one DB or we need to have different DB's for different app's ?

Cheers

Sandeep

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013
Yes, it's perfectly safe and has only one minor downside - if you need to take the database offline for maintenance, all the applications suffer downtime.
Sandeep Nagaraja August 5, 2013

Thanks Nic

Will there be any implications on performance.?

Also will we have issues upgrading the different apps at different times in the future ?

Are there any other advantages for keeping the databases separate (except for independence..so if db is down the app is not down) ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2013

Performance - not really. Obviously, any database service can become overloaded, but there's nothing unusal about running several Atlassian apps in databases scattered across services or in one place.

Upgrading - not an issue - the sets of data are separate, so the upgrades are independent.

Other advantages - that's where I have to back away and defer to a real DBA. In terms of Atlassian stuff, there's nothing really other than the independence, but that applies to any application backed with a database.

Suggest an answer