Can we reset the issue id in a project by deleting all the issues of that project

SARAVANAKUMAR March 27, 2019

Using JIRA CLOUD

We need to move on production and then issues will be created. We need to restore back origional start index starting from 1 again.I can deleted all issues my project.

Please suggest way to achieve this one.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2019

There is no way to do this in the UI.  Deleting an issue does not allow you to reuse the ID.

You would need to download the entire thing, edit the data (either by importing it into a development server and then hacking the database, or hacking the raw xml of the export) and re-import it back up into Cloud, overwriting the current system with the amended stuff (completely - so you'd need your users not doing anything in Jira while you did download/edit/upload)

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2019

Hello,

You can also delete and then create the project again.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2019

but you can't reuse the same key I think? Haven't tried but believe that is true.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2019

If you delete a project, then you can create a new project with the key of the old project.

Richard Cross December 1, 2022

I'm pretty sure you can only do this if no issues have been created in the project you're about to delete, as otherwise the project key is left in database tables that are not removed when a project is deleted (such as tables that relate to linked issues).

Like Pel likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

You're right.  In fact, Alexey was wrong there - even if you delete all the issues in a project, AND no issues were ever moved out of it into another project, the project table still retains the dead key.  You can't remove it without hacking the database (not available on Cloud)

Like Richard Cross likes this

Suggest an answer