Can we create a cluster of jira products on self hosted servers.

Rahul Chandyok May 4, 2017

Hi all,

We're in the process of moving to Jira products. So we're looking for a guide to create a cluster of jira products along with high availability. We would appreciate any kind of help.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2017

I'm afraid Vishnu's answer is the one you need.

To cluster Atlassian products, you have to use Data Centre versions.  You have no other supported option.  (And even the unsupported options don't really work well enough to be usable in most cases)

However, the way you have worded your question makes me think your customers in China are actually using "Cloud".  This really is a Cloud or SAAS service, which isn't clustered.

Your option for running a cluster of Atlassian products really is "Data Centre"

jkf chen October 17, 2017

hi Nic, see your suggestion above, Thanks.

i got the same question and i know data center edition. However, in terms of cost and our budget, it is too expensive for my case. Our jira serves less than 100 users (much less than 500 users at the starter price), but still got the problem of slow connection due to the users distributed across a few countries in Europe and Asia.

could there be something to tune so improving the user experience?

Thanks for your attentions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2017

The latency is your network, you'll need to tune that.

jkf chen October 19, 2017

hi Nic, Thanks for your quick reply.

apart from tuning the network, do you think data center load balancer could be the option? i.e. 2 jira servers, one setup in Asia, another one physically in Europe to sync, then users access through the load balancer?

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2017

Hi Rahul

If it's large scale and you are interested in high availability and performance at scale, I would recommend considering the Datacenter version. 

You would find the details in below links;

1. https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/data-center

2. https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/high-availability-guide-for-jira-288657149.html

3. https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-data-center-resources-608960748.html

Thanks, Vishnu. 

Rahul Chandyok May 7, 2017

Hi Vishnu,

Thank you for your kind reply. Actually we can't use Datacenter version because our customers in china region are facing some issues on Datacenter version. That's why we are looking for a self hosted highly available solutions. Also I've another question, How can we create a cluster of jira products ( Jira Software, Confluence, Jira Service Desk) on self hosted servers.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Rahul

Suggest an answer