Can't select Story Points for the Issue Detail View

Meade_ Mark April 22, 2019

Hi,

I'm using Jira 7.6.3 and I want to be able to see the Story Points field in the Issue Detail View.

When I go to Board > Configure > Issue Detail View, Story Points is not an available field listed in the Drop Down for the General Fields.  Ironically it is listed on other projects.

When I go to Project Settings and click Story under the Issue Types I see Story Points listed as a field for the View issue screen.  I also see Story Points when I create or edit a Story.

What do I need to do to have it available in the Issue Detail View?

Thanks, Mark

2 answers

2 votes
Jan Locaj March 21, 2023

If anyone will stuck upon this problem in the future, maybe this will be helpful, as this was how it worked in our instance:

If in the "Estimation" tab in the board's configuration you have selected "Story Points", it means, that "Estimate" field on the "Issue detail view" (when you click on some issue within the Board) already shows the "Story points" value:

SP.png

Therefore it's not possible to select "Story Points" in the issue detail view. But if you want to have there Story points field to be shown independently on the issue detail view anyway (like on my screenshot above) you need to do the following to add "Story Points" field to the issue detail view manually:

1. in the "Estimation" tab within the Board's configuration, select something different, than "Story points", (e.g. "Issue Count")
2. Go to the "Issue detail view" tab in the board's configuration
3. Now the "Story Points" should be able to be selected - so you can add the field to the issue detail view
4. If you want, you can change the "Estimation" back to the "Story Points", and as you already added the "Story points" in the previous step, it will remain on the issue detail view (and will look like on my screenshot above)

0 votes
Sugandha Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2020

Hey Mark,

Could you please check if the Estimation is set as Story Points under board settings?

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 7.46.52 PM.png

O_Ree October 23, 2020

I'm having the same issue and my settings match what is in the screenshot above. I'm not able to see or add Story Points to the Issue Details view.

I did see another post saying that this field will only appear if it has a value.

It would be a much better user experience if it appear without a value when a team is doing refinement or sprint planning. Things will flow better without having to go through extra clicks to add a value to this field.

Like Eric Offermann likes this
Eric Offermann November 4, 2020

I have the same issue.  I can see the estimates on the board now, but not in the detail view of tickets on the right side of the screen when you click on tickets.  Same on the detail page if you click on the ticket name directly.  I can only add or change story points once you click 'Edit' on each ticket.

Eric Offermann November 4, 2020

Apparently this is displayed as the "Estimate" field in the preview pane on the right side.

Regina Kondracki January 16, 2021

I can't get Story Points to show up as a field on any of the screens of my board.  I've been searching for an answer on these community posts and not finding anything that will work.

My board settings match the screen shot above.

When I go to Board > Configure > Issue Detail View, Story Points is not an available field listed in the Drop Down for the General Fields, which seems really odd.

Within my project, when I go to Project Settings > Fields, Story Points is set up to show on all five screens. 

Can anyone help?

Suggest an answer