Can't get notifications working after cloning issue

Sebas April 17, 2023

Hi all, 

I've been helped great on this forum earlier, so i'll try again. 

In my automation I move issues over several boards bij cloning them and copying the comments along with them. The problem I am facing now is that de reporter gets the updates on the issues on the first board, but when the issue is cloned, the reporter doesn't get any updates anymore, despite that i specifically add the reporter to the clone. All notification settings are on. 

Anyone had the same problem? any advice? 

thanx in advance. 

Sebastiaan

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

Hello @Sebas 

You mention cloning issues "over several boards". Boards are just a way to view and manipulate issues. The issues actually exist in Projects.

Are you cloning issues into different projects, or are you making clones of the issues in the same projects as the original issues?

Notifications are configured at the Project level. If you are cloning issues into different projects, the configuration of the Notifications for those projects may be different than the source project.

And when you say you "add the Reporter to the clone", to what field are you adding the Reporter? Notifications can be configured to notify different recipients for different events. If you are, for instance, making the original Reporter a Watcher on the clones, the Notifications for the project may be configured so that Watchers and Reporters get different notifications.

Sebas April 17, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill , 

Thanx for your quick response. 

Indeed I mean different projects. Each department in our company has their own project. So when an issue in the Customer Service project needs to go to IT, CS will drag the issue into the column "move to IT" which has an automation behind it to clone the issue to the IT project and to resolve the issue on CS project. 

I am using the dutch version of JIRA, so i don't exactly know what the field is called in your version. Mine is called "Melder" (reporter)

I've added two screenshots:
1- the automation rule that clones the issue and assigns the "melder" (reporter)
2- the notifications scheme for the project where the issue is cloned to. 

Thanx for your assistance. 

regards

sebastiaan

Jira_Autom_1.pngJira_Autom_2.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Sebas 

Thank you for that additional information.

Based on the Notifications image you provided, it appears you are looking at Customer Notifications in a Service Management project. So you are cloning the issue into a Service Management project. Is that correct?

Can you confirm that an action has occurred with the issues that would trigger one of the notifications?

Is the event being executed by the person who is the Reporter or by another person?

Can you check the configuration of the notification to confirm that it is being sent to Customers Involved? Also check if the notification is configured to "Exclude the person who caused the action".

Does the user receive other notifications from Jira? Does the user receive notifications appropriately for other issues in the same project as the clone, where the other issue was not created through cloning?

Sebas April 25, 2023

Hi Trudy, 

Thanx for trying to help me, sorry for delay

It is correct I am cloning into a service management project. 

I can confirm that an action has occurred that would trigger an email response. 

Both ways it doesn't work. wheter I triggrer the response or someone from CS

It is being sent to customers involved and to reporter. Checkbox to exclude is off (see screenshot with translation)

The user (which is my personal gmail account in this case) does receive the notifications from the original issue, until it is cloned. When I i perform all the actions from my work account (which is a Jira user), it does work. But I can't expect every reporter to have their own Corporate Jira account?

thanx for your response. 

Jira_Autom_3.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

When you clone the issue into a Service Management project and set the Reporter in the new issue to match the Reporter of the original issue, is that user set up as a Customer with access to the Service Management project? Are they able to access the issue using a URL link to either you Jira instance directly or a link to the issue through a customer portal for your Service Management project?

Sebas April 25, 2023

I'll describe the workflow:

Issue was crerated bij customer sending an email and it automatically is added to the CS project. 

CS adds questions/comments etc which all go to customers email. 

CS drags issue to column "send to IT", Automation is activated and issue is cloned to IT board and on the CS board issue is resolved.  customer gets mail conformation that issue has been send to IT

At the IT project we can see the reporter in the issue, but no mails are ging there, not even when we add @emailaddress in the comment. 

when IT is done, an automation is activated which clones the issue back to the CS project, so CS can give the solution back to the reporter. In this case also no notifications will reach the costomer. 

The customer is able to see the original issue in the portal, but does not see the clones. 

In short, the costomer can see te original in the portal, therefore i assume that the account is correct. After the clone, everything stays dark. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

It sounds like CS might also be a Service Management project. Is that correct?

If the Reporter/Customer is not able to see the issues when they are in the IT project, that suggests to me that the Reporter/Customer is not set up to have access to the IT project as a customer.

Is the user able to access the customer portal interface for the IT project and create issues there through the UI?

If not that is another indicator that the Reporter/Customer is not set up with the right access for the IT project.

Do you see the Reporter/Customer listed in the Customers page for the IT project?

What settings do you have for Customer Permissions in the IT project?

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.37.48 AM.png

What settings do you have forr Customer Access in the System > Products > Customer Access settings?

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.36.05 AM.png

Sebas April 26, 2023

Here the settings on customer access

Jira_Autom_4.png

The customer is visible in the list of IT project, but doesn't seem te be connected. (screenshot with privacy marks) When I type @emailaddress of the SebGmail in a issuecomment it doesn't arrive in the inbox. 

Jira_Autom_5.png

How can I add the customer to the IT project with the correct Permissions? Maybe in the automation rule like IF customer not exists then add customer? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events