Can't associate project with Issue Type Scheme

Balint Nagy September 28, 2018

I created a Project, then an Issue Type Scheme.

Now I want to associate the Issue Type Scheme with the project.

I do have the necessary permissions.

I go to Jira Home / Jira Settings / Issues / Issue Type Schemes (ITSs).

Scroll down to the very bottom, as ITSs are displayed in the order they were created (hmmm...).

Next to the project I click Associate.

I should select the project, but it is not visible in the list (which is tiny compared to the number of project we have).

There's one hint that might apply to me: "You can't associate independently-created projects with this issue type scheme." The project I created is one of these? Is this the reason that I can't find it here? How can I create a project to be non-"independently-created"?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2018

Yes, you've answered your own question.  Independent projects don't have issue type schemes.

To create a standard project, an administrator has to use the original "create project" option, and select one of the templates or shared config.

It was me who created the project some time ago, and I think I just used Create project - so it shouldn't be independent (whatever that means).

How do I check?

I couldn't figure out whether my project is independent or not.

But I tried to click Jira Home / Projects / Create project, and got a message "Anyone here can create independent projects". I don't remember seeing this before, but I guess this is the method I may have used.

Now I found that I can do it another way: Jira Home / Jira Settings / Projects / Projects - This page is named Project administration. It has a similar looking Create project button, but it takes me to a page called Create project. Is this the right way to crate a non-independent one?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2018

Well, the fact you can't give it an issue type scheme is a good check that it is independent.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2018

Ah, crossed-over comments.  Yes, you have the right way to creating a standard project there.  It should ask you what template to use on the next step (independent ones won't)

That might be the reason why I can't apply a workflow scheme either...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2018

It is, yes.

0 votes
Guilherme Hernandez June 3, 2019

Hi there,

I am facing the same problem when creating a new "next-gen" project (from wherever I create them).

It seems that "next-gen projects" are created as "independently-created projects". Does it make sense?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2019

They were called "independent" for a while, but we don't use that much any more.  They don't have the schemes the "classic" projects have.

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Andrew Holm-Hansen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 12, 2019

Just to clarify, are you saying that next-gen projects do not have issue schemes?

Viola H
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2019

Just found official answer to your question:

'Next-gen projects don't have schemes. Your next-gen project's setup objects – for example, its issue types and fields – are all contained within the project. Since these objects are no longer dumped in the pool of global objects on your Jira site, you don't need schemes!'

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Everything-you-want-to-know-about-next-gen-projects-in-Jira/ba-p/894773

Eman Tadrous
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 17, 2020

but in the next gen projects, i can not create issue type - subtask , i only create issue type standard 

So for example in scrum board  , jira software project , i wanted to create feature to be with the epic in the same level , i cant , and i could not create user story to be with the sub task level 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

Correct, you can't do schemes in next-gen projects.

julien.milinkovitch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 13, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  there is an alternative ? I really need this feature for a project I'm working on. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2021

There's no alternative - if you want the power of schemes, then  you have to be using a company-managed (classic) project, not a team-managed (next-gen) one

Like Jira Stuff likes this
Jira Stuff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 31, 2021

Thank you much for the answer. @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Chaiyeen Oh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Does Scrum and Kanban also doesn't have issue type schemes? 

I'm having trouble associating issue type scheme on software development project.

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2023

@Chaiyeen Oh - yes, if they are company-managed projects on Cloud, or you are using Server or DC.  It's only Cloud-based team-managed projects that do not use configuration schemes.

Suggest an answer