Can't @Mention other users?

I have a fairly new set up.  I am the admin.  I have about 5 other users currently.  For some reason I cannot "@" mention anyone but myself.  Is there a setting somewhere?

6 answers

1 accepted

Apparently they have to be part of the jira-users group, even though I created a custom group and gave it all the JIRA access I wanted.

That doesn't sound right. I can mention people outside JIRA users in the jira I've got here.

I agree it's weird, but I triple checked the behavior. I couldn't tag someone, added them to jira-users, could tag them. Did the same for the next user and so on. /shrug

I just quadruple checked it. I typed @a and saw two names. I removed one of them from jira-users and reloaded the page. When I typed @a I only saw the other user.

Ah, hang on. You can only @mention people who have the right to view an issue. So I suspect that you've got jira-users in a role that allows browse, which means removing them from there removes their access, and hence, you can no longer mention them.... So expected symptoms, but a slightly different route than you thought.

The first one I tried to mention a user on was an issue she created and commented on, so that shouldn't be the problem...

Creating or commenting on an issue does not give you the right to see it. If you remove her from jira-users, she can't see it any more, so you can't mention her until you put her back in.

How can she comment on an issue she cannot see?

Because when she made the comment, she was in jira-users, so she could see it.

She was never in jira-users until I started troubleshooting why I couldn't mention her. She was not in jira-users when she created the ticket or when she commented.

So she was in another group that gave her access when she created and commented.

Yes, the custom group I mentioned.

Yup, there you go - she can be mentioned when she can see the issue, and can't be mentioned when she can't see it. That's what the docs say.

... She was in "Company Employees" group, which I created to give everyone access. She was NOT in jira-users. She created a ticket. She commented on the ticket. I could NOT @mention her. I added her to jira-users and then I COULD @mention her.

You have to look into the global permissions. Just add a group (i.e. jira-users) to the permission "Browse Users". Then every users in this group can mention other users in comments.

I can mention as an admin however I gave browse user permission to all of my user groups but some groups still can't mention somebody. Its weird that, in one of these groups, some members can mention somebody, others cannot.

I had the same problem and fixed it as followed;

You need to add Brose permissions to the group.

Go to: System > Global permissions > Click on dropdown 'Permission' and select 'Browse Users' > Now select the group you want to give this permission in the dropdown next to group > Click on Add.

This should give everybody in that group the ability to use @Mentions

I hope this helps!

This is the best answer!

Fixed my issue, thanks!

If you want to do this at a project level, goto your Project Administration Page > Permissions > Browse Projects (add role/group/user etc.)

awesome! Have been struggling for quite a while! Helped!

Thanks a lot, it works!

Perfect answer, Solved the Issue thanks :)

Thanks! Straight forward! It solved my issue.

Even people who don't have permissions to view project can be mentioned via "[~email]". 

JIRA 7.3.3 Administration Gear > System > Global Permissions > Add permission:

- Browse users

- The group

I have Jira 4.1 and double checked my permissions, but when I type in the "@" symbol, I don't get an option to add anyones name. 

All I get is an "@" symbol.

Does anyone know when feature was added?  

0 vote

This is great info thanks!

Now, if I want a customer to have access only to one project, not the others, I assign them to a project role, and associate that project role to a permission scheme, allowing that person to have Browse Projects only for that project. But now I need to enable them to @mention people. Any ideas?

Make sure they have browse users permission.

This has nothing to do with what project they are using or have access to .

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,265 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot