Can WBS gantt chart stagger resources?

Thomas Kejser
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 6, 2022

It appears that assigning a resource to several subtasks in WBS gantt chart leads to a schedule where the resource is easily over-subscribed.

For example, let us say give Alice all 4 subtasks of Issue#42. Each subtask takes 1 day. WBS gantt then decides that Issue#42 will take a total of 1 day. Obviously, the answer should have been 4 days (since Alice cannot time travel)

How do I configure the tool to do the right thing?

1 answer

1 vote
Mauricio Groth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 2, 2022

Hello @Thomas Kejser 

Thank you for bringing this behavior to our attention and reaching out to us. 

The “duration” does not refer to the total duration of the subtasks, but rather to the number of days from the start date to the end date.

However, we have reported this behavior as a suggestion for our developers for further improvements.
Once it has been elected for further releases, it will become available on the WBS Gantt-Chart Product Board Portal 

* At the moment, we can't set an ETA for the implementation to be released since it will depend on the team's backlog and analysis of the suggestion's complexity. 
* To receive updates regarding the feature, please vote for it by clicking either \[NICE-TO-HAVE] or \[IMPORTANT] or \[CRITICAL], enter your Email address, and then Submit once it becomes available.
* You can click on Watch App at our Atlassian Marketplace Listing page to be notified when a new version is released and what are the new features coming with it: WBS Gantt-Chartt for Jira 

Although we may not have a workaround for it, we understand that this behavior is not optimal. But let's give our developers some time to investigate and implement this suggestion if possible.

We'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter. If you need assistance with the WBS Gantt-Chart or have any other questions, please let us know as well. It will be our pleasure to help.

We wish you a great day!

Kind Regards,
Mauricio Groth | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

xrigau September 30, 2022

Exactly same issue!

This should be a P0 bug since it renders auto-scheduling and resource leveling useless.

See sub-tasks AI-1900 and AI-1926 are creating an overallocation.Screenshot 2022-09-30 135700.png

Alessandro Portela Cristiano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2022

Hello @xrigau 

Thank you for using WBS Gantt-Chart and submitting your feedback.

It came to my attention that the topic https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/WBS-Gantt-Chart-How-to-auto-organize-the-tasks-for-the-same/qaq-p/1528106#U2152342 relates to the same subject.
Please take a look at my latest reply in there for more details.

In short, WBS Gantt-Chart is designed to just indicate the Resource Allocation based on the information listed on the Gantt-Chart. As modifying the scheduling could impact the issue scheduling in the entire environment, it is not advisable to do so as it could impact the planning for other Projects not related to the Gantt-Chart in question.

Wish you a great day ahead.

Kind Regards,
Alessandro C. | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

Suggest an answer