Can JIRA create a new ticket if subject line is the same UNLESS the ticket number is in the SUBJECT

Kim Fain November 12, 2021

Currently, when an incoming email is received and the Subject line is identical to an existing JIRA ticket, JIRA copies the new email to the existing ticket.

We would prefer that JIRA always creates a new ticket if the subject line is the same as a previous ticket ONLY if the original JIRA ticket number is not in the Subject line.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2021

The algorithm used for issues by email is not configurable. If me or serves it actually used to work as you have described. However, in attempts to improve not creating issues where a comment is intended (?) this has changed. 

Kim Fain November 23, 2021

So, to be clear, currently, if the SUBJECT LINE is the same as a previous ticket, AND the KEY (ticket number) is NOT in the subject line, the NEW ticket will be copied, as a comment, to the OLD ticket?

Like Kyle Simpson likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2021

Well….yes, maybe…

A year or so back I would have simply answered “yes”. However, a couple of months ago I was running some tests and was surprised to see that if I created one issue by mail and then replied all to the original email then a comment was added rather than a new issue. I don’t know the exact algorithm but I believe if the reporter sends an email with the same subject it will be a comment. If someone other than the reporter sends an email with the same subject then a new issue would be created. Disclaimer- this needs to be tested and confirmed. Too, I believe this is an area that Atlassian continues to sharpen the pencil on so expect things to change. 

Charles Sullivan April 7, 2022

can we have an update on this? This is rather annoying. Every time a client opens a ticket with the same subject line it just comments on an old closed ticket. I NEED this to generate a new ticket every time!

Kim Fain April 7, 2022

Right!!!!??? SOOO very frustrating!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2022

if you are having continued issues here you might reach out to Atlassian support.

Kim Fain April 7, 2022

I have...many, many times and I get no response.

Only...please go to our Communities to find your answer...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events