Can I track sprint progress with a custom field for Story Points?

Olivia Medina August 16, 2022

Hi guys, 

I´m having some issues tracking my Sprint progress. My current configuration is as follows:

- A custom field as a Select List (single choice) for my Story Points (1,2,3,5,8,13).

- Selected Story Points as the field to track progress on the sprint. However, my Sprint burndown looks flat, no data visible.

What am I doing wrong? I think the values on my dropdown are probably not considered numeric, but I´m unsure what to do next to fix it.  

I appreciate any help you can provide.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hello @Olivia Medina 

Welcome to the community.

Story Points is the name of a built-in field. You should generally not create a custom field with the same name as an existing field. That leads to confusion as you don't really know which of those fields you have selected.

In my environment I created a new custom field "New Story Points Selection List", like yours. When I go to the Board Settings > Estimation, that field is not available to select.

Based on that I would say that when you selected "Story Points" for your board, you actually selected the original built-in Story Points field, which you are not actually using for your data. That is why the progress shows no data.

And, Estimation Statistic has to be a Number type of field. You can't use a Selection List type of field, as Jira is not designed to decipher if the available values are text or numbers.

Olivia Medina August 16, 2022

Hello Trudy,

Thanks for your quick response; much appreciated.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events