Can I set an issue done at the same time when creating it?

Susanne Sänger October 19, 2017

Is it possible to have a "done-button" on the "create issue" form, to set the status of an issue to "done" within the same process when I create that issue?

Additionally to other things we are doing support by phone and sometimes when customers call, you can immediately solve the problem. Then you create an issue, log time and close the issue in one step. But therefor I need the "done" button on the "create issue" field....

Maybe somebody can help me?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2017

Dear Susanne,

Regarding to your question;

Yes, it is possible to automatically close an issue after creating it. There are quite some options to do this, I will name some of the most widely used ones;

If you have multiple workflow steps: Through Automation rules / Add-ons

I am not sure about your scenario, but as for functionality I would recommend either Automation or making the status ''Done'' accessible for all transitions.

Should you go for automation.. you have the following to pick from;

• Jira Listeners
  • Automation for Jira

Jira Listeners

With Jira Listeners, which should be already integrated in your JIRA environment.. you can create rulesets based on parameters combined with conditions that you enter.. such as ''Issue Created''. Then you can configure a certain action based on that. So.. When Issue Created .. automatically transition to status ''Done''. This however is a bit clunky and nowadays you have the newer and better ''Automation for Jira'' for this.

Automation for Jira

This is a paid add-on which is being widely used for all sorts of automation processes; It is quite easy to understand and together.. or even without docs... you can get really far. You can simply make rules like... ''When Issue is in project X and created.. transition to status ''Done''. You can give as many parameters as you would want.

If you have one workflow step: Closed as the initial workflow step

The most simple way to achieve what you want, is by making the status ''Closed'' the first step in the workflow. So from the Create transition to Closed. You can add a screen where you set the resolution on the Create transition.. or add a post-function on the create transition that adds a Resolution.

Should you require any assistance, please do comment on this ticket and I will be here to help you.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

https://www.prepend.nl/

Susanne Sänger October 23, 2017

Thanks Jeremy for your quick and helpful answer! We will try to implement this at our site. 

Best regards, Susanne 

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2017

There can be more than one way to achieve this.

However, I would have done the below

1. Create a new customfield (Closed on creation), probably checkbox or a select list with an option yes

2. Use the JIRA service desk automations. 

When issue created , if Closed on creation = yes then transition issue to closed

Susanne Sänger October 23, 2017

Thanks Mizan for your answer. I will talk to my colleagues within the next meeting to implement this. 

Best regards, Susanne 

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2017

Welcome , If this solves your issue do not forget to accept my answers by clicking on the tick mark next to my answer.

Suggest an answer