Can I move my information from Jira to my Trello Board

Sean McNeely June 1, 2018

How do I export/move all my data from jira to my Trello board.  I am finding lots of info on how to move from Trello to Jira but not the other way around.  Has anyone complete this or know how? 

Thank  you,

Sean

2 answers

0 votes
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

Hey Sean, welcome to the Community!

Will the information you're transferring out of JIRA need to be synced to Trello and then removed from JIRA or are you using Trello as a means to show issues that will still reside in JIRA?

Sean McNeely June 1, 2018

We want to move the information to Trello and Stop using Jira. It makes more sense for our business at this time because Trello is more user friendly for what we need. There is no information on how to do this and we have lots of information in Jira. We want to make sure all notes and data come with the move. 

Like Anders Olsén likes this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

Hey Sean, there are some things to consider in this question and a couple of solutions I can think of. Neither are perfect. 

JIRA and Trello fields are not 1:1, and by that I mean that there are many more fields and functions in JIRA than there are in Trello, so you will need to weigh what data is important from JIRA. 

Another thing to consider is that it is highly unlikely that you will be able to sync individual comments and time history for actions taken from JIRA to the Trello board, so this information will be gone.

The best you can hope for is to have all of your issues represented as cards and then a comment on each card that includes all other data you want ported over. 

The first method I'd suggest is copy/paste. It isn't elegant, and requires manual work, but the time commitment will be entirely dependent on the amount of isues you're moving over. This would be the most cost-effective solution.

The second solution would be to use a third-party tool like Zapier to create an automation for moving the cards over, but this will require a trigger event and a small bit of knowledge around using 'business rules' and 'triggers'. I have successfully used Zapier for some time to create synced issues across JIRA, surveymonkey, and Trello. It wasn't too hard to set up, but there is a definite learning curve. The cost for Zapier is tiered, but does have a free tier with limited automation steps. 

The last option I have for you is to either have a developer create a program and use the Trello APIs to move issues over OR use a third-party service like import2 wizard to take a CSV file of your JIRA issues and import to Trello. Not sure on pricing for Import2 Wizard.

Whichever way you decide to skin it, there will be some amount of manual work involved. Best of luck, let me know if you have questions. 

Like Daniëlle Kallenborn likes this
0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Wouldn't that diminish your user experience ? JIRA is the World Cup while Trello is like a County Soccer :-)

Vikas Bhatia October 1, 2020

When all you want to do is kick a ball to a wall why would you enter the world cup?

Like # people like this
stuart_mclean April 12, 2021

Trello is so much easier and more intuitive to use. ...and oh so much faster.

Like # people like this
Christophe Grosjean December 3, 2021

I'm considering a similar move. The basic issue is that Jira provides ton of useless features and completely blocks needed ones that I could have with Trello. I want my issues to be ables to move around between three boards: one for Definition of Ready to prepare stories, one for sprint, and one for Definition of Done to manage different levels of done (code done, QA done, documentation done, production deployed). Moving a card between board is easy, but Jira is getting in the way for such workflow (working hard to make it difficult or impossible). I would galdefully remove most of Jira features for that.

Jim Selikoff December 8, 2021

Backlog in Jira was nice though. Looks like that would require creation of separate Board in Trello?  

Suggest an answer