Can I define a custom field context per issue type?

Bp SchTon May 21, 2024

I want to reuse custom fields as far as possible. Example is a field named "class" which should e.g. take the options

- "functional" or "non-functional" for my own issue type "requirement"

- "TN" or "ICD" for my own issue type "document"

and that independent of the project this custom field is used.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

Hello @Bp SchTon 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Custom field contexts can be specified based on issue type(s) combined with project(s), so yes you can have a context that is specific to an issue type, associating that with either all projects or 1..n projects.

Bp SchTon May 21, 2024

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer. Yes, I know that I can associate the context per project. But then I have to update the context whenever a new project  is created.  Correct? There is no such way to say whoever is using a given issue type in a project automatically gets the options for this issue type?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

Only the original, default context for a field has the option above the Projects list to select "Global".

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 10.34.49 PM.png

If you add another context for another issue type for that same field, you have to explicitly pick the projects to which that context will apply.

You might be able to use an Automation rule with the Project Created trigger and the Send Web Request action to call the Issue Custom Field Context REST API  endpoint and update field contexts to include the new project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events