Can I automatically send an email to a customer on resolution that allows them to transition?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

I am designing a service desk project (but not the portal... yet) in which I have been asked to have Jira send an email to the customer (a user picker value) when an issue is resolved.  This email should ask if their issue is resolved and have yes/no buttons. 

Yes would close the ticket, and No would reopen.  

Is this a possibility?  (without scriptrunner, ideally)

ALSO

ASSUMING THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE

I have been asked if it's possible to make this part of the CSAT email so that we can limit the communications to the customer to one email instead of two.

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

If you use Jira Enterprise Mail Handler (JEMH), you might be able to do this. 

You want to be careful with "buttons" or with any solution that requires access to the portal. If people are responding from thier phones for example, those may not work.

But you can craft "mailto" links in the email, such that you click on the link, and a new email is opened with the content already specified. The user then just clicks "send" So its two clicks, not 1.

The email itself can contain a "directive" (basically an alias to a command) that instructs JEHM to transition the issue.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

We haven't even implemented an email handler on a basic level for these guys :)

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

Well if you have JEMH send the email, you could also try their "Directive Set" functionality. https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JEMH/pages/114982925/Use+Directive+Sets which would't require an inbound email handlers. But it would mean two separate emails, one from the customer notifications, and one from JEMH. (though I guess you could disable the customer notifications one)

ALso, JEMH is a complex add in to configure, particularly if you are using Service Desk. Its very powerful but that power comes with complexity.

0 votes
Ben Poulson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2019

Yes, it is possible to automatically send an email when an issue is resolved- you can just use the built in service desk automation (would look like: WHEN status changed IF status = closed THEN send email). Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no way to integrate this into the customer satisfaction email.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

Thank you but the email needs to contain action buttons. That is the key piece.

patrick_mckenna March 11, 2024

Hi @Rob Horan 

Did you ever find a solution for this? I want to do something similar. 
Thanks

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2024

Hi @patrick_mckenna ,

Sorry, no.  I am struggling to remember the details of this engagement, honestly. I think at the time I was building a solution for a potential customer that did not contract for services.

Suggest an answer