Can I assign to a specific assignee if a particular choice in Select List (single choice) is selected??

Davina Tsosie November 30, 2016

I have a Select List (single choice) with a list of different applications and I would like to assign the issue to a specific user if a certain application is selected. Example: If requester selects CRM in the drop down list, the issue is assigned to a member of the CRM team.

Guidance is much appreciated.

Davina

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

Hi Davina,

If you aren't already using them, could you use the 'Components' field for your applications, instead of a select list?

You can set up a person as the 'Component Lead' and set it so they are the default assignee for issues where that component is selected (if you want, you can remove the 'Assignee' field from the create screen if you do this, so users don't get the chance to override). 

See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-components-776636315.html

Otherwise, you'll need to use an add-on to get the behaviour you are after.

Sam

What add-on would that be?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

For JIRA Cloud, there are a few options I know. None are free, though.

These two would allow you to add a post-function to your create transition to run a script to set assignee according to your custom field. So would require some scripting work:

Another one to consider is this one, which will let you implement a rule to assign the issue when it is created based on JQL you define:

Others might know of different options.

the Component route works. Thank you .

Suggest an answer