Can I allow a project admin to add options to a custom field?

Esther Strom May 16, 2019

Up until recently, our Jira instance has been small and tightly controlled. We're now opening it up to more departments and teams, and have people wanting to be able to control their own projects a bit more.

I'm happy to give project admin access, but one of the requests is that they be able to add values to dropdown fields. We have a shared issue type scheme with several custom fields, and they're set up with contexts (different values per project/group of projects.)

Is there any way to allow a user to add values to a custom dropdown that would only affect the context of their project, and without giving them full administrator access? (This is for  classic projects; I know it would be easy with next-gen, but those don't allow us to customize workflows.)

We're on Cloud. I'm happy to look at plugins if there's one that would allow this.

2 answers

0 votes
Wolfgang Landes June 3, 2022

Hi @Esther Strom 

We built an App that not only allows to clean up (edit, merge, delte) Jira native 'Labels' field globally or on a project level, but also to create 'Label Manager' own custom field type that allow to predefine allowed labels globally or for each project.

Label Manager for Jira

This allows project admins to manage their the options themselves without help from global Jira admins. (Like components)

Also you can use the label as checklist by assigning traffic light colors indepent on each issue.

Hope I could help you

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2019

Project admins cannot modify any Global option. I believe custom fields are global options.

Realized you are on cloud and the app I presented is for Server/Data Center. This may be able to assist https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1210816/profields-project-custom-fields?hosting=cloud&tab=support

Esther Strom May 16, 2019

Thanks; I had seen that plugin, but my understanding is that it allows you to add fields to the  project (i.e. project metadata), not to issues.

Have you used it? Am I misunderstanding? 

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2019

I have not. The only other plugin I could think of is the Delegate Project Admin Pro which is only for server/data center. I just did a quick search and found that.

Suggest an answer