Can I add watchers when an issue is created

José Arbiol January 13, 2016

Hi,

I'm using JIRA Cloud service desk.

I would like to add a single user to watcher list when an issue is created. I tried using  post function on workflow transition but Wather field is not available.

Is there any way to do it ?

thanks

José Arbiol

7 answers

11 votes
Dan Burton August 21, 2018

Fwiw, I think it's ridiculous that this isn't something supported out of the box.  It's not that hard.

6 votes
Corne van Dyk January 19, 2017

I  found a solution for this, by creating a custom notification scheme, and adding a custom "user picker" notifiers field. When adding something to a notification scheme, pick the "User Custom Field Value" option, and select the custom user picker that you previously defined.

Seems to work so far.

regards

Corne

Deleted user April 10, 2018

This is BY FAR the best solution for adding "watchers" on creation. 

I didn't add a custom notification scheme.  I just added a new notification to the default notification scheme.  I then took it one step further and added a Post Function to my workflow that copies the value of my custom user picker field and adds it to the Watcher field when the item transitions.

Chris Carvey November 2, 2018

This is kind of involved and you can miss a step pretty easily. One note of warning, the picker will show you ALL people on JIRA, some of which may not be configured correctly to have access to the project you are on, so go back and double check all your user rights or notifications wont work for that user.

This answer effectively pointed me in the right direction.

In addition, when creating the custom field you can choose the multi-user picker (to notify multiple people) which is awesome.

1 vote
John Pfotzer January 14, 2016

Jose, I may be misunderstanding your question, but are you aware you can go into notifications in your project and under issue create, you can add a person?
If I understand your need correctly, this is the simplest way to do it.

welcome

John

StephanieC January 24, 2020

But if you are only looking to notify that user for a specific project, that project will need its own notification scheme. Which is fine, just need to realize the impact.. Also, if its just for one issue type, that doesnt even work... :-( (which is my case) 

Like Kelly Okimoto likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2016

Watcher isn't a field, that's why the post function failed.

I'm afraid you need to add a "watchers field" add-on if you want to to this directly on create, or have something a post-function can write to, but you can't install it on Cloud (last time I looked)

Pooja Heda November 20, 2019

Again, this is for JIRA Server and NOT JIRA Cloud. Is there any solution yet to this post? Please throw suggestions if you have any.

Rick Zakharov December 3, 2019

You can do the this:

* Go to https://arqisoft.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewPermissionSchemes.jspa

* Open your permission schema (probably need to go through all of them)

* Add the user group to "Voters & watchers permissions / Manage Watchers" permission

Like merve_yalcin likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2019

No, this does not work for Cloud, it does not support the watchers field.

Like # people like this
Rick Zakharov December 9, 2019

Indeed. It doesn't work, but the setting is somehow available in Jira Cloud. It just doesn't affect anything.

Is it a bug?

0 votes
Corne van Dyk January 19, 2017

@John Pfotzer unless I'm missing something, your suggestion to add a person to notifications is a static entry - ie a specific person (or group) would be notified on issue creation (for example). I think what the OP is asking for is the ability to select users at issue creation to notify (that's certainly what I'm after, but it seems that Cloud doesn't support the Watchers plugin that has been mentioned elsewhere.

regards

Corne

0 votes
José Arbiol January 13, 2016

OK, thanks for your quick answer.

kr

José

Suggest an answer