Can I Collapse/Hide a Column of a Kanban Board?

Sebastian Baehr February 8, 2016

Hi smile

We use a JIRA Agile Kanban board for our project and we have a column name "Queue (Waiting for Customer)". This column has a relatively high WiP limit since a lot of support tickets that are waiting for a customer response are collected there. This leads to the board being relatively cluttered in this column while the others have low limits.

Is there a way (maybe even a plugin) to collapse the issues of this particular column? Even though we don't have much influence on how many issues are in this column we would still like to easily see how many issues there are (but not the issues themselves).

Regards

Sebastian

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

Not really collapse as such, but you could have a quick-filter for "issues not in status (list of the status within Queue)".  Then you could quickly toggle the issues on and off!

Matthew Perryman October 31, 2018

This is fine, but the unfiltered columns still exist on the screen.  Ideally I'd like to collapse/hide empty columns while under quick filter.

Like # people like this
larisa February 4, 2021

was send by mistake

larisa February 4, 2021

I don't see "Close" column in Kanban board, but the data is saved and everything can be returned at any time. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

I do not understand what you are asking for.

larisa February 4, 2021

skip please

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

Skip what?  Could you explain what you are talking about please?

Tazo Lezhava February 12, 2021

The way I understood the question (I might be biased as I have the same question), is to be able to have a view/custom board where only non-empty columns are displayed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2021

Yes, that's perfectly clear.  It would of course make the board dysfunctional, so there's no option for it.

hmm, I respectfully disagree. There is no need to take up entire column if there are no issues present in the status. To keep the functionality, you could have empty statuses all collapsed (i.e. still shown, but taking up less room on the board)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2021

How would you drop a card into a column that isn't there?

I should be clear here - I don't think there's anything wrong with having a toggle for "hide empty columns", as per Bill's suggestion.  But it absolutely needs to be optional, off by default and have some form of banner to tell people "click here to unhide hidden columns"

I think there are ways around it, eg. drag and drop over the collapsed icon. But I also was suggesting it to be optional, for it to be an additional view that users can add, just like the quick filters. For this specific functionality, Bill's suggestion works well as well, but it can be more general, where for custom boards users can apply custom conditions.

Walker March 4, 2021

Any update on this? Trello (owned by Atlassian) has an extension that does this...

Ibrahim Sardar March 27, 2021

We have a scenario where we have a workflow that has a path that is impossible for the current sprint, rendering a handful of empty columns as clutter.

For now, our team is just ignoring those columns because I pushed them all the way to the right side, out of immediate sight.

2 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2016

Why dont you consider using a quick filter which excludes the data in that column (i.e. you set it as status !=Waiting for customer) 

This way your kanban board will not get cluttered and you can of course get to see the entire cluttered board just by unclicking the Quick filter.

Rahul

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2019

Hi Kanban board users,

I submitted a suggestion for Atlassian to add column collapse/expand as a native feature of Kanban boards.  Please see this item for details:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17698

Best regards,

Bill

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2019

Hi @Sebastian Baehr 

If you still want to collapse columns on your boards, consider submitting a suggestion for Atalassian to add the feature, similar to column collapsing in the tool Kanbanize.

Best regards,

Bill

Holly Esparza July 31, 2019

I found something that works, but every time you want to show or hide the column you will need to update the board configuration.

To hide a column, you can merely drag the status(es) in the column configuration off to the right side. This will hide the column when you go back to the board, but the status(es) is still available for use.

To display the column again, configure the board and move those status back to the column. 

I use this technique for a column I always want hidden. I needed to set Epics to this column status in order to exclude Epic counts being added at the top of my "To Do" or "In Progress" columns.

Like # people like this
larisa August 17, 2020

your advice was very useful to me - it works great

Like Eric Oliver likes this
Galina February 4, 2021

Hey!
Even, if someone would try to call it "not ideal solution"- that perfectly helps me. Thought there should be something like this, just could not find on the go.
Big thanks! :)

0 votes
Brett Wyrick April 18, 2019

Not a great solution, since it won't go company-wide, but this Chrome extension works flawlessly at the time of this posting:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/column-selector-for-jira/imphacfmmdcaijhaoclekogljkpcoaic/related

Sander G.M. Buist August 16, 2019

It's not available anymore so don't delete it or it's gone!!

hjootoorames@vmware.com July 23, 2020

Nice. It would be create if the extension could help us show/hide arbitrary columns. Only hiding empty columns is only partially useful.

0 votes
Patrick March 20, 2019

Hi @Sebastian Baehr ,

Thank you @Bill Sheboy for drawing my attention to this.

We actually created a plugin for this.  It's fairly simple and adds the needed functionality.

Here it is:

Collapsible Column for Jira

Let us know if you have any feedback or questions.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2019

Hi @Patrick !

Thanks for the information about your product.  Not to takeaway from the market for marketplace add-on options, collapsible columns seems like a pretty obvious missing feature for software versions of Kanban boards.  Hopefully it will get added in the future to the out-of-the-box product.

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer