Can Automation for Jira create subtasks based on a multivalue nFeed/Elements Connect field?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2020

I have an nFeed multiple selection field  that I am using as a base category field.  The user can make multiple selections. 

I would like to create a rule that is triggered by issue creation that will create one sub-task for each value in this field

AND

It needs to set the value of another nFeed field (this one being a single select) in the sub-tasks.   See https://doc.elements-apps.com/elements-connect/latest/tutorials-examples/tutorials-learn-how-to-configure-elements-connect/configure-dependent-select-lists/dependent-select-lists-sql-datasource

So imagine 3 tables: parent, child, grandchild.

• Parent issue has a multi-value field named "Categories" populated by the parent table.
  • Subtasks have 3 dependent fields:
    • Category parent (also populated by parent field)
    • Category child
    • Category grandchild

When the parent issue is created, Automation for Jira should, for every value in "Categories" create a sub-task where the "Category parent" field value is set to that value.

So if the parent has "Categories" values of A, B, C then there should be three subtasks, one with a Category parent value of A, another with B, and finally, another with C.

This needs to be a programmatic solution, not something where the string values are written into the rules, so that a DBA can add/remove/modify the tables as needed. 

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.  If you're in NYC I'll buy you a pint.  Of the good stuff.

1 answer

1 vote
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 29, 2020

Hello,

I'm the Product Manager for Elements Copy & Sync, which is an app developed by the same editor as Elements Connect.

What you're trying to achieve is actually quite possible by using Connect and Copy & Sync together.

As you will see in our documentation (section "Multiple issues" in https://doc.elements-apps.com/elements-copy-and-sync/latest/operations/configure-an-operation/create-a-local-issue), Copy & Sync allow the creation of multiple issues from a Connect field, with each child subtask inheriting the value of one of its field from the parent issue (in your case, the Category).

You will then be able to set the value of your Connect field in each subtask with a little more configuration.

Feel free to try our app and see how it fits your need. Do not hesitate to contact our support for further help implementing your solution (https://support.elements-apps.com/portal).

Julien

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2020

Hi Julien,

I don't know if I can convince the powers that be pay for another plugin, especially after purchasing automation for Jira.

I appreciate the solution, but I don't think I can make this happen with another paid plugin.  I need to use what's on hand.

Suggest an answer