CSV Issue Import - Option not available

I have a test instance where I am the admin for the whole thing and I have a menu option under "Issues" named "Import Issues from CSV". We created a real cloud subscription where our IT is managing the users/permissions and while I can create projects/workflows/etc. I don't have this import option available.

Any help on what is missing would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer
Timothy Chin Community Champion Apr 05, 2017

Are you comparing JIRA Server and JIRA Cloud? If you are, there maybe certain differences between the two.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-764478441.html

Turns out I needed the global "Batch Update" permission. Thanks.

0 votes
Sam Hall Community Champion Apr 05, 2017

Hi Tom - if you have admin rights in JIRA Cloud, you should be able to import issues from CSV by going to:

JIRA Administration (i.e. Cog icon) > System > External System Import > CSV

Does this work for you?

cloud-admin-import-csv.png

I tried this once, but it was my impression that this was more about importing complete projects, and I am specifically interested in a particular set of issues. First whack is importing what are now called Features into Jira Epics. I think I have this resolved with the addition of the Batch Update permission.

Thanks.

Sam Hall Community Champion Apr 05, 2017

Hi Tom - Glad you've sorted it.

For completness, though:

The 'CSV' option under 'External System Import' is actually very similar to the 'Import issues from CSV' option under 'Issues' in the top-menu.

It's just as flexible. You're not restricted to doing complete project imports and you can use it to import particular sets of issues (or even just one issue, if that's all that is in your CSV).

In fact, the 'External System Import' one is a bit more powerful as it is designed for use by admins, rather than general users. It allows import data to map to more fields than the general 'Import issues from CSV' option. For example, using 'External System Import' > CSV allows imports to update issue statuses from a CSV file.

Hi Sam,

I am JIRA admin in our JIRA Cloud, but I don't see the section "IMPORT AND EXPORT" as shown in your screenshot. Any idea what could be wrong/missing?

Thanks,

Stefan

Hmm. What happens if you go to this url?

https://{your-site-name}.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ExternalImport1.jspa

404 - Dead Link :-(

I have created a ticket for Atlassian and they are looking into it.

Sam Hall Community Champion Apr 27, 2017

@Stefan - did this issue get resloved for you? What was the solution?

Sam Hall,

Do you have a Url to get to the export section?

I, too, am an Admin and I don't have the import/export in my menu. 

When I use your link for the import, I am able to get to that page! 

Just looking for the export URL.

Thank you!

Sam Hall Community Champion Apr 27, 2017

What do you want to export?

There are two options in JIRA Cloud:

1. Use the backup manager. If you can get to the page shown in my screenshot above, can't you see the 'Backup manager' link?
  2. Search for the issues you want and export the data for them.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 16, 2018 in Jira

Looking for anyone who made the switch to Data Center

The Jira Marketing team is putting together an ebook on migrating to Data Center. We're looking for pro tips on how you staffed your project team and organized your Proof of Concept. Share yo...

1,289 views 17 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you