CSV Issue Import - Option not available

Tom Lindley April 5, 2017

I have a test instance where I am the admin for the whole thing and I have a menu option under "Issues" named "Import Issues from CSV". We created a real cloud subscription where our IT is managing the users/permissions and while I can create projects/workflows/etc. I don't have this import option available.

Any help on what is missing would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2017

Are you comparing JIRA Server and JIRA Cloud? If you are, there maybe certain differences between the two.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-764478441.html

Turns out I needed the global "Batch Update" permission. Thanks.

1 vote
Adam Barylak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2019

I just had this same issue, but the solution was completely different.  Under System Administration > General configuration there is an "Advanced Settings" button.  Within this section there is a settings called "jira.bulk.create.max.issues.per.import".  If this is set to zero (0), then it disables the Import Issues from CSV option for non-admins.  I never remember setting this option and i've been our admin for more than 8 years.  And this is not listed in the documentation at all.  So figured i'd post this out here in case anyone else comes across this in the future.

Sanu Soman June 15, 2020

This is the correct solution.

Thanks,

Sanu P Soman

0 votes
Courtney Manitz April 27, 2017

Sam Hall,

Do you have a Url to get to the export section?

I, too, am an Admin and I don't have the import/export in my menu. 

When I use your link for the import, I am able to get to that page! 

Just looking for the export URL.

Thank you!

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2017

What do you want to export?

There are two options in JIRA Cloud:

1. Use the backup manager. If you can get to the page shown in my screenshot above, can't you see the 'Backup manager' link?
  2. Search for the issues you want and export the data for them.
0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2017

Hi Tom - if you have admin rights in JIRA Cloud, you should be able to import issues from CSV by going to:

JIRA Administration (i.e. Cog icon) > System > External System Import > CSV

Does this work for you?

cloud-admin-import-csv.png

I tried this once, but it was my impression that this was more about importing complete projects, and I am specifically interested in a particular set of issues. First whack is importing what are now called Features into Jira Epics. I think I have this resolved with the addition of the Batch Update permission.

Thanks.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2017

Hi Tom - Glad you've sorted it.

For completness, though:

The 'CSV' option under 'External System Import' is actually very similar to the 'Import issues from CSV' option under 'Issues' in the top-menu.

It's just as flexible. You're not restricted to doing complete project imports and you can use it to import particular sets of issues (or even just one issue, if that's all that is in your CSV).

In fact, the 'External System Import' one is a bit more powerful as it is designed for use by admins, rather than general users. It allows import data to map to more fields than the general 'Import issues from CSV' option. For example, using 'External System Import' > CSV allows imports to update issue statuses from a CSV file.

Stefan Patry April 13, 2017

Hi Sam,

I am JIRA admin in our JIRA Cloud, but I don't see the section "IMPORT AND EXPORT" as shown in your screenshot. Any idea what could be wrong/missing?

Thanks,

Stefan

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2017

Hmm. What happens if you go to this url?

https://{your-site-name}.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ExternalImport1.jspa
Stefan Patry April 14, 2017

404 - Dead Link :-(

I have created a ticket for Atlassian and they are looking into it.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2017

@Stefan - did this issue get resloved for you? What was the solution?

Suggest an answer