Buttons for workflow transition in view issue have wrong title

Normen Müller January 18, 2018

I'm on JIRA Cloud.

I have defined the following, very simple, workflow:

WF.png

But in an issues detail view the transition buttons do not reflect those statues:

Issue.pngAny ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

Check to make sure that the project is using the workflow that you created.

I'm pretty new to JIRA as an administrator :-/

So far, just used JIRA.

Can you help me a bit more, please? Where to check? However, I'm pretty sure I have assigned the workflow to the project.

BTW, when I click on `View workflow` within a detail view of an issue, then the correct workflow diagram is displayed. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

Go to Settings > Workflows in your project and see if it is using the correct workflow

Workflows.png

If it is not the right workflow you need to modify the workflow scheme. Take a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-your-workflows-776636587.html

I like this page, Project screens, schemes and fields because it gives you a good overview how it all fits together when it comes to schemes and things.

Hmm... all looks good:

WF2.png

And as I said, when I click on `View workflow` within a detail view of an issue, then the correct workflow diagram is displayed. 

Is that a bug?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

Try this, make a copy of your workflow and then associate this new copy with the scheme the project is using and see if that helps.

I guess I found the solution: I renamed the statues on the diagram view but those renamings were not mapped to the text view. Then I executed the same renamings on the text view, and now it looks good!

Thanks for your time and help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

That's not quite the right explanation.  Transitions are NOT Status. 

The names of status and the names of transitions are totally separate things.  Most of the project templates create workflows where they name a transition after the target status at the end of the transition.

The button for a transition draws its name from the name of the transition.

When you rename a status, that has nothing to do with the transition.

You had been changing the names of status, but not the transitions.  When you went into the text view, it becomes more obvious that you had not renamed the transitions, so then you made the second set of updates you needed.  (The diagram does show the names and allows you to change them, but it is less obvious)

Normen Müller January 19, 2018

You are absolutely right!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2018

I could be quite smug and say that I have never made this mistake.  I would be right in that I have not.

But my Atlassian experience started years before we had a graphical editor for workflows, and more years before Atlassian started automatically creating workflows with "transition name = target status".

I don't think I have any right to be smug when I learned Jira at a time when it separated them out to a point where you really could not get muddled.

So I had no idea how much those two changes obfuscated it until I realised I had had to explain it for the fourth or fifth time.  It is VERY unclear now.

Suggest an answer