Bulk move epics with stories from team project to company project

Mallee Morris September 24, 2021

It has been asserted in other threads that I can bulk move epics w/ stories from one project to another (in my case from a team project to a company project).  However - this does not work.  I have tested it multiple times.  

What I start with is Epic A, Story A1 and Epic B, Story B1. 

I complete the bulk move fields properly, requesting that epics migrate as epics in the new project.

What I get after the move, in the new project is:

Story A (no longer an Epic and now in the backlog), Story A1, Story B (no longer an Epic and now in the backlog), Story B1 (in the correct status).

In fact I can't move even one Epic over successfully IF I try to move it's child Story at the same time.

If I move ONLY one Epic, with NO child Stories - then the move operation asks me for different fields, one of which forces me to enter the name of the Epic from scratch (and the system uses this new name).  This does get me a new Epic in my new Project, but to say that I "moved" it seems disingenuous, since I lost any child stories, and had to rename it.  All I really did was make a brand new Epic using the most painful method possible.

Am I missing something?

2 answers

1 vote
VR
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2021

Hi Mallee,

Just to add on to the previous comment:

In case of Single issue move, a warning is shown as, during single issue move, the epic or the issue associated with any epic will suffer data loss of epic-issue relation.

In case of bulk moving issues from Team managed to the Company managed project, we have two scenarios:

1. If the epic and all issues associated with the epic are selected for the bulk move, In this case, we will not have any data loss and hence no warning is shown. 
  2. If there is the possibility of data loss during the bulk move(due to partial selection of issues associated with the epic), we show a warning on the BulkChooseOperation page when the user selects Bulk move
1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2021

Hi Mallee,

Sorry to hear about the frustrations of moving these issues between project types.  Unfortunately, the way in which Epics and stories relate to each other is handled differently between these project types.  There have been past tickets regarding this such as in JSWCLOUD-17221 From that ticket:

Epics behave slightly differently in next-gen projects and this is one example of that. ...

Unfortunately in the short term, it means when you move issues to next-gen projects you will need to manually assign these issues to the relevant epic.

Since the time of that quote was written, our next-gen projects where rebranded as team managed projects, while classic as it was often referred to as is now called Company managed projects.

These two project types were designed differently and in turn they were not expected to maintain this relationship when moving issues between them.  Company managed epics and their stories ARE expected to maintain their relationships anytime you move them to another company managed project.  However moving to or from a team managed project, these relationships are not maintained.

I would expect though that the move dialogs within Jira would warn users about this before it happens, such as in

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 1.42.35 PM.png

The bulk operations for moving issues in my view should be showing a similar warning here, but it is not. I have create a new bug ticket for this over in JRACLOUD-77480  I'm sorry there is not a clear solution here, but please understand that this epic data is not expected to be maintained during this kind of moving issues between projects.

Andy

Suggest an answer